Hi everyone

I have the information Name:  force info.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  47.7 KB and the question Name:  force question.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  18.7 KB.

My answers are Name:  forces.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  8.3 KB but I am not confident that this is correct. So as we are not considering frictional forces, then there is only gravity to think of whilst the diver is still in the air? Also would it be better to make my axes just include j rather than j and i?

(Original post by kirsty456)
    Hi everyone

I have the information Name:  force info.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  47.7 KB and the question Name:  force question.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  18.7 KB.

My answers are Name:  forces.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  8.3 KB but I am not confident that this is correct. So as we are not considering frictional forces, then there is only gravity to think of whilst the diver is still in the air? Also would it be better to make my axes just include j rather than j and i?
    Yes, if friction is ignored there is just one force, the downwards force of the diver's weight in that first phase.
    As for the coordinate system, it would seem as though you are only interested in the vertical direction, as the question distinctly states that the diver's motion is vertical only.
    By the way, you need units for the mass and speed of the diver, and the distance of the pool below the board.
    I know it says they are all SI but they should still be included with the stated value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    Yes, if friction is ignored there is just one force, the downwards force of the diver's weight in that first phase.
    As for the coordinate system, it would seem as though you are only interested in the vertical direction, as the question distinctly states that the diver's motion is vertical only.
    Thank you

(Original post by kirsty456)
    Thank you
    I've added a bit on to my post since you replied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    I've added a bit on to my post since you replied.
    Got it thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 19, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.