Is it ok to apply for two similar courses at the same university? (Biomed/Bio) Watch

Naii
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm applying for both biomedical sciences and biology at one university that I really want to go to but my priority is biomed. Is it likely that they give me an offer for both courses if I'm up to their standards or will they see that I've applied to two courses and just cancel me out for the one that's more sought after (probably biomed)?
Thanks in advance for those who answer.
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Naii)
I'm applying for both biomedical sciences and biology at one university that I really want to go to but my priority is biomed. Is it likely that they give me an offer for both courses if I'm up to their standards or will they see that I've applied to two courses and just cancel me out for the one that's more sought after (probably biomed)?
Thanks in advance for those who answer.
It's actually fairly common thing to see.

They will most likely treat you as an individual candidate. The subjects are quite nicely overlapping in parts which can be covered in the PS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Naii
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Jkizer)
It's actually fairly common thing to see.

They will most likely treat you as an individual candidate. The subjects are quite nicely overlapping in parts which can be covered in the PS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the quick reply.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's fine. They may give you offers for both, as biomed and biological sciences are different enough that it would be hard to swap between them later on. If you're rejected from one or the other, I would say it is because they aren't keen on you as an aplicant (e.g. if your PS focuses too much on biomedicine and not on other aspects of biology).

I have recieved two offers for different courses in the same university, so it definately happens.
kiera4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone applying for pharmacy and biomed???
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kiera4)
Anyone applying for pharmacy and biomed???
Pharmacy and biomed are a bit too different for you to be able to write a successful PS for both. Applying to both courses will increase your chances of getting rejections. You will have to chose between the two courses anyway, so it would be better to chose before you apply and have the best chance of getting in to your chosen course.
kiera4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks alot i think i might stick to pharmacy then if the chances of rejection will increase if i apply for both
2007PSanHa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got two offers from Bournemouth so yeah!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (189)
22.74%
The paper was reasonable (383)
46.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (154)
18.53%
It was TERRIBLE (105)
12.64%

Watched Threads