Do I get my own shower at uni? Watch

mhassan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm hoping to move out for uni next year, kent or UEA. Just wondering if i get my own shower and toilet, I shower three times a day so hoping i get my own.
Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you go ensuite then yeah, if you don't then no.
mhassan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Flauta)
If you go ensuite then yeah, if you don't then no.
How much is is it to rent ensuite rooms per month compared to others?
Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mhassan)
How much is is it to rent ensuite rooms per month compared to others?
Don't know for your universities, but I think it's usually about £10-20 more expensive a week for ensuite. Check the accommodation prices on your universities' websites.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In first year, this won't be much of an issue as you can get an ensuite room in halls.

However, in second and third year, if you go into a shared house, there will probably only be 1 or 2 bathrooms. Taking three showers a day is likely to annoy your housemates if they can't use the bathroom, and could cost you a lot in water bills. Your best option may be to look at renting in private halls. However, in third year, this might cause you to end up sharing with a group of freshers, which won't be ideal. Unless you can afford a studio flat, this could be a problem later on.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nobody needs three showers a day, and whilst you can get an en suite in first year, in second / third year shared houses en suites basically don't exist. 3 showers a day will not make you popular with your housemates - I had a housemate in second year who took 45 minute showers. Unsurprisingly, no one signed up to live with her again for third year.
mhassan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
Nobody needs three showers a day, and whilst you can get an en suite in first year, in second / third year shared houses en suites basically don't exist. 3 showers a day will not make you popular with your housemates - I had a housemate in second year who took 45 minute showers. Unsurprisingly, no one signed up to live with her again for third year.
My showers are only 5-10 minutes long. My first shower is for my hair and the other two for body. Morning, afternoon and before bed. So I will be in the shower for 20-25 minutes a day, which isn't that much. I can compromise to 2 a day minimum.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My showers are only 5-10 minutes long. My first shower is for my hair and the other two for body. Morning, afternoon and before bed. So I will be in the shower for 20-25 minutes a day, which isn't that much. I can compromise to 2 a day minimum.
You can combine two into one, certainly - you can do hair and body in one shower. Then there's no need to have another shower before you go to bed unless you've done a lot of exercise that day or are going on a night out. One shower a day is fine :dontknow:
mhassan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
You can combine two into one, certainly - you can do hair and body in one shower. Then there's no need to have another shower before you go to bed unless you've done a lot of exercise that day or are going on a night out. One shower a day is fine :dontknow:
I go gym everyday plus play football, squash and tennis at least once a week. Now do you think it's normal.
skatealexia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I go gym everyday plus play football, squash and tennis at least once a week. Now do you think it's normal.
You'll use a tonne in water/gas bills to heat up the water with that many showers. Showers should be about 10 minutes too, whata re you doing for 25 minutes!
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Uni life will be too hectic.

What course are you planning on doing?
Gotzz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by skatealexia)
You'll use a tonne in water/gas bills to heat up the water with that many showers. Showers should be about 10 minutes too, whata re you doing for 25 minutes!
Pretty sure he meant 25 minutes in total (3 showers).
mhassan
Rep:
?
(Original post by James A)
Uni life will be too hectic.

What course are you planning on doing?
Accounting and finance. Yh starting to get worried about that. Don't know how Im going to manage my time effectively.
chikane
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Accounting and finance. Yh starting to get worried about that. Don't know how Im going to manage my time effectively.
First year is a breeze, so you will have plenty of time for sports, when you get to 2nd and 3rd year the stress will kick in.
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your timetable should be alright then, if you were a Pharmacy/Medicine student, then yeah, you will have very little time for three showers a day.

Believe me when I say it, but uni life is busy!
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Some halls have en suites but these are way more expensive than normal halls. At my uni they're £20 extra a week, which is several hundred pounds over the academic year. If not you have to share which your flatmates won't be happy with if you hog the shower 3 times a day, especially as halls usually only have 1 shower between 4-6 people. Plus when you have to pay for bills, I doubt you'll want to be paying for the water and gas/electricity for that many showers a day. And private accommodation rarely has en suites and this is when you're likely to be paying for bills.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Shower at the gym after your workout, and if possible after your other sports too. That will give you the shower you want without annoying your housemates in second and third year.
GoingToBurst
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You'll probably only have around 14 contact hours a week maximum in first year - coming from an accountancy & finance student. However, they can be pretty poorly spread out, not leaving much time to anything in between (take my Monday for example: 9-10am, 11am-12pm, 1-2pm and 4-5pm). I'm only in 4 days a week though, but I also work 4 days a week, 3 of which are my days off of uni. If you aren't planning on working then you'll have plenty time for all of your sports, but if you're going to work too then you might want to reconsider all of your activities.
mhassan
Rep:
?
(Original post by GoingToBurst)
You'll probably only have around 14 contact hours a week maximum in first year - coming from an accountancy & finance student. However, they can be pretty poorly spread out, not leaving much time to anything in between (take my Monday for example: 9-10am, 11am-12pm, 1-2pm and 4-5pm). I'm only in 4 days a week though, but I also work 4 days a week, 3 of which are my days off of uni. If you aren't planning on working then you'll have plenty time for all of your sports, but if you're going to work too then you might want to reconsider all of your activities.
Oh okay. Thanks for the advice. Can I ask what uni you studied accounting and finance and how you found it. Also do you have to pay to use uni sports facilities?
GoingToBurst
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh okay. Thanks for the advice. Can I ask what uni you studied accounting and finance and how you found it. Also do you have to pay to use uni sports facilities?
I'm at the University of Aberdeen and I'm loving it. Aberdeen structure the accountancy & finance degree pretty much backwards to any other university, but I love the way it's done. I have absolutely no complaints about my course . Where are you looking to apply to?
Yeah, my uni has the sports village, which is the best sporting facility in Scotland so we still have to pay for it. It's like £12 a month for a basic membership though. I pay £27.50 a month which includes full use of EVERYTHING at any time. I.e. athletics facilities, gym, classes, squash and swim. The aquatics centre opens next year too, which should be incredible, so I'm not sure how much my membership will change by but it'll be totally worth it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?