Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of moving to santander but I'm going to the US next year, will I be able to still put money into the account and use my card there or will it charge me?

I know they have branches of Santander in the US, but I didn't know if I could put in money?

ReputationRep:
    Not too sure but may be American Express would come in handy?? they currently have a 1 year free membership going on but I know most bank charge you when you take out money abroad so your best bet would be to open a new account as soon as you get there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prolite)
    Not too sure but may be American Express would come in handy?? they currently have a 1 year free membership going on but I know most bank charge you when you take out money abroad so your best bet would be to open a new account as soon as you get there
    Good point, I'm more concerned about putting my wages into the account, as I'll be transferring most of the money to a currency card like caxtonfx

ReputationRep:
    can't you take travellers cheque with you?? and cash it out as you need cash

also check here for santander fees etc

http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Sate...mplateY2#Debit Card

In the long run you will waste a lot of money if you don't open a bank account there. also in Usa you can buy prepaid cards soo that could be an option too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prolite)
    can't you take travellers cheque with you?? and cash it out as you need cash

also check here for santander fees etc

http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Sate...mplateY2#Debit Card

In the long run you will waste a lot of money if you don't open a bank account there. also in Usa you can buy prepaid cards soo that could be an option too?
    I said before i'll be using a currency card such a fairfx or caxtonfx. I'm going to be working so I didn't know if I could use the same account if they have US branches that I could be paid into or did I need to open up a US account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smudge_moon)
    I'm thinking of moving to santander but I'm going to the US next year, will I be able to still put money into the account and use my card there or will it charge me?

I know they have branches of Santander in the US, but I didn't know if I could put in money?
    Santander is a "card from hell" If you want a debit card, you really want a Norwich & Peterborough card imo, or a Metrobank if you happen to live in London

Or top travel credit cards

Tbh, you might just be better off having a salary paid in to a US bank account. This is a very good tool:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...-money#howgood

There's NO WAY I'd use my Santander card abroad. I'd use my:
    Norwich & Peterborough card for withdrawals/card payements
    Nationwide select credit card for card payments and
    Aqua reward card for card payments

ReputationRep:

Not sure about putting money IN, unless it of course is in dollars, not pounds. Taking money out, however, will charge you, significantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkSlayer128)
    Not sure about putting money IN, unless it of course is in dollars, not pounds. Taking money out, however, will charge you, significantly.
    It would be in dollars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Santander is a "card from hell" If you want a debit card, you really want a Norwich & Peterborough card imo, or a Metrobank if you happen to live in London

Or top travel credit cards

Tbh, you might just be better off having a salary paid in to a US bank account. This is a very good tool:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...-money#howgood

There's NO WAY I'd use my Santander card abroad. I'd use my:
    Norwich & Peterborough card for withdrawals/card payements
    Nationwide select credit card for card payments and
    Aqua reward card for card payments
    There is no branches of those banks within 50 miles of me, so they would be pretty useless I'm afraid. I'm just going to take my normal card for booking stuff online and then a fairfx card to take cash out on I think and then open an account there when I have my SS number.

ReputationRep:
    There is no branches of those banks within 50 miles of me, so they would be pretty useless I'm afraid. I'm just going to take my normal card for booking stuff online and then a fairfx card to take cash out on I think and then open an account there when I have my SS number.
    I opened a Norwich & Peterborough bank and I've never ever set foot in an N&P account. The catch is, you MUST fund it with £500 or if youre quick enough, you can get the gold light today (It's being withdrawn soon), and that only requires 5 "payments" ie: 5 standing orders

I fund mine with £500/month, with 5 standing orders And I also get free Sentinel insurance!

Also, I have no Santander where I'm currently based either. Faster payments are your friend! I have a Lloyds, Barclays, a NAtionwide and a HSBC near me. I bank at all of those aside from HSBC, and with the interwebs, you can easily move money to your desired bank

That being said, it's always good to have another bank overseas imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkSlayer128)
    Not unless she moves it to another account first or uses a credit card, which is linked to her Santander account

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.