Guys, I need help for finding extracurriculars Watch

coots
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
tl;dr: read first and last paragraphs

>student in penultimate year
>got perfect grades in final 2 years at school, on track for first in subject perceived as hard, got academic awards at uni
>have zero positions of leadership/extracurricular positions
>failed all three internship interviews so far due to lack of social skills/awkwardness/ugliness

Have I lost any hope of having a great CV that can regularly get me interviews? The interviews were competitive to get, but I've been rejected from most places so far, most likely due to the lack of extracurriculars or leadership positions (although of course getting mostly rejected is normal).

I feel like there's nothing I can do to improve my CV. It's too late to be good at a sport. All uni society/club committees are extremely cliqueish, and it would be a stretch getting on them even if I did have social skills.

My only extracurricular activity was a small amount charity work, and member of a club (a student society which is boring as hell and the fact that it's just a bunch of plebs doing crap so they can write about it in their CVs later is sickeningly tedious to watch).

My hobbies are all solitary (going to gym, learning French in free time, reading literature), and they don't display the teamwork BS that gets you past HR (and learning a language is nothing to shout about when there are people who are bilingual).

My only guess was to pay tonnes to do my masters at cambridge/imperial, but it just seems stupid now to pay an arm and a leg and hope that my social skills improve because I don't live at home. Also academics is the one area I do well in, and despite going to a low ranked uni, I really feel there's barely much to gain by moving.

There seems to be a lack of interesting voluntary opportunities available. I've had part time jobs before and they've been utterly brainless, and gave me nothing to talk about.

I have little to no margin for improvement in terms of academics and structuring my cover letter and CV.

Do you have any extracurricular suggestions? Also I have tonnes of money to waste because I live at home/got a scholarship/go to uni in Scotland, so feel free to get creative with ideas.
Karterama
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why not try doing an internship abroad? This company offers paid internships in Australia and New Zealand that look quite good http://www.oztimum.com/
Mbob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They are usually plenty of sports clubs or societies that don't require a particular skill levels to take part in or even to get on committees for. No-one cares if the social secretary of the mountaineering club has scaled K2. So I think there are options if you want them, the only problem being that you are quickly running out of time.

You say committees are cliquey. That's probably true to an extent, but only because people tend to spend time in a club and becomes friends with other members before they stand for election. If you jump into a club with the sole aim of getting on the committee then you're probably not going to make yourself popular with those who actually enjoy the sport/activity and care about the club. As you say yourself, no-one wants to watch someone doing something purely for their CV. The people who have lots of activities on their CV are usually the kind of people who love doing those activities and who actually are sociable people. That can be learnt, but is difficult to fake. And it can be lots of fun, which I think should be the main reason for doing these things!

If you what to do charity work or volunteering then there should be lots of opportunities wherever you are. Does your Union not have a volunteering officer/centre, surely they can find things for you. You don't have to save the world - does your town have a parkrun for example. If so email the organiser and volunteer to help out this Saturday morning,

You could even get some people together and start your own charitable organisation, or branch of one. But that takes real commitment, if you're just doing it for a line on your CV then you're unlikely to make it a success.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads