Got shouted at today by a customer, I'm really upset Watch

Quite hungry now
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I work in Iceland food shop and today I was working on the till, One woman who I served really upset you.

I was scanning her shopping through the till and the total price came to her shopping through the till and the total came to £18.45

She handed me a £20 note and I gave her £1.55 change, she didn't move, she stood there in silence looking at me for a minute and I wondered why, then she bellowed, I gave you a £50 note, you owe me £31.55, you only gave me £1.55, I insisted that she only gave me a £20 note but she yelled she gave me £50 note.

I told her for certain that she is wrong and you are right, I told her look madam if you wish you can return tomorrow after I have counted the cash and I will tell you come tomorrow and what the cash was.

She said ' ' you better not rob me off, I have 4 daughters who will come after you'' I WILL BE BACK TOMORROW !!'' she bellowed.

Was she just trying it on or was she really mixed up , also she had no right to threaten me did she , what should we say to her tomorrow?
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lool, I don't understand why you're upset? Life goes on.
IlexBlue
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
She sounds a little deluded and off her rocker.

Don't let idiots like that get to you, OP. It happens now and then in retail.
Apocrypha
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thats why mums go to iceland.
Truefaith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ouch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
Similar thing happened to me today, a lady gave me a note and I entered £10 into the till, but then she just glared at the change and insisted she had given me a £20 :erm: At which point my mind went completely blank and I couldn't recall for the life of me what she had originally given me :sad:
Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
She obviously gave you a £20 note. Being an Iceland shopper I'm surprised she knows a £50 note exists.

The big question before we can answer your question is.... Did you cash count show that she gave a £20 or £50 note???
Lotus_Eater
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd let a supervisor know about the incident. My guess is that she's trying it on and might even be well known to the store.

Try not to let it worry you. Anyone who has worked in a shop has found some customers are simply beyond insane. Certainly don't take it personally. I very much doubt she'd bother following it up even if she is legit.

If I had a pound for every time some idiot customer had shouted at me in the past, I'd be able to shop at Waitrose.
Olie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
Lool, I don't understand why you're upset? Life goes on.
What, have you even read the OP, so you'd be alright at having a customer scream at you and threaten you when you've done nothing wrong :lolwut:

Who knows what's wrong with the woman, maybe she was trying to trick you? I'd say if she sticks to her word and comes in again tomorrow and gives you more grief, you should definitely get the manager in or something, while she might try the old 'the customer is always right' line, that's still no excuse for aggressive behaviour towards staff members.
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
She can collect her 50 from the Job Centre down the road.
elcamino
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't put the cash in the till until you've counted out the change or put it on top of the rest of the notes instead of in with the piles of notes, I used to work in retail and used to do this because you'd be surprised how many people try that one. That way you're not second guessing yourself and know for a fact how much somebody's given you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PeaceTreaty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Troll thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...426&highlight=

Edit: banned already :P
Emma:-)
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quite hungry now)
I work in Iceland food shop and today I was working on the till, One woman who I served really upset you.

I was scanning her shopping through the till and the total price came to her shopping through the till and the total came to £18.45

She handed me a £20 note and I gave her £1.55 change, she didn't move, she stood there in silence looking at me for a minute and I wondered why, then she bellowed, I gave you a £50 note, you owe me £31.55, you only gave me £1.55, I insisted that she only gave me a £20 note but she yelled she gave me £50 note.

I told her for certain that she is wrong and you are right, I told her look madam if you wish you can return tomorrow after I have counted the cash and I will tell you come tomorrow and what the cash was.

She said ' ' you better not rob me off, I have 4 daughters who will come after you'' I WILL BE BACK TOMORROW !!'' she bellowed.

Was she just trying it on or was she really mixed up , also she had no right to threaten me did she , what should we say to her tomorrow?
Some customers are like that sometimes. Those sorts of customers are the minority though. You just have to not let them get to you (harder than it sounds i know). Try reading my thread- called annoying customers. Hopefully, you will enjoy reading about other peoples experiences and realise you arent alone. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ying+customers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (3)
33.33%
The paper was reasonable (1)
11.11%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
11.11%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
44.44%

Watched Threads