Degree course name in personal statement Watch

Koolio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm applying for 3 uni's with the course name 'International Relations' and 2 with 'International Politics.' I've looked at the course content and they are extremely similar. However, in the personal statement (not submitted yet) I've said the course I want to study is International Relations as a single subject.

I'm not sure what do to here... should I say International Relations/Politics? With a slash... I don't know if that's a good thing to do in a formal personal statement.

I do emphasis why I like politics, why I want learn about on an international scale... I just don't know if this is enough?? Please help!
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Koolio)
I'm applying for 3 uni's with the course name 'International Relations' and 2 with 'International Politics.' I've looked at the course content and they are extremely similar. However, in the personal statement (not submitted yet) I've said the course I want to study is International Relations as a single subject.

I'm not sure what do to here... should I say International Relations/Politics? With a slash... I don't know if that's a good thing to do in a formal personal statement.

I do emphasis why I like politics, why I want learn about on an international scale... I just don't know if this is enough?? Please help!
IP and IR are essentially the same thing. You can mention the field of international relations, but mentioning that you want to study a degree in IR would be unwise, as it's likely to make the IP admissions tutors think that you're uncommitted to them.
Koolio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
IP and IR are essentially the same thing. You can mention the field of international relations, but mentioning that you want to study a degree in IR would be unwise, as it's likely to make the IP admissions tutors think that you're uncommitted to them.
Thanks for the reply. What would you suggest is the best compromise then? If I say 'International Politics', it may dissatisfy the IR admissions tutor. And vice versa like you said.

I also have to rule out saying Politics and International Relations as that suggests I want joint honours.

Is using a slash a big no no then? Definitely not 'or'...
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They might be almost identical in content, but don't say how you really want to study international relations and expect the international politics unis to think you want to study their course. I was much luckier. I applied to marine environmental studies, marine environmental science and environmental science. I said about my interest in environmental sciences, but how i'm particularly interested in marine ecosystems. Which meant it was general enough for the environmental science courses, but specifically mentioning marine sciences enough for the other courses.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Koolio)
Thanks for the reply. What would you suggest is the best compromise then? If I say 'International Politics', it may dissatisfy the IR admissions tutor. And vice versa like you said.

I also have to rule out saying Politics and International Relations as that suggests I want joint honours.

Is using a slash a big no no then? Definitely not 'or'...
You can talk about IR / IP without ever using the phrase IR / IP For instance, you could talk about realism or neocolonialism, the (continuing) Cold War, tensions over the Chinese border (not just Tibet), or something else that interests you in the field. Saying "I am passionate about IR / IP" is a rather insincere statement; if you show that you are passionate about the field without ever explicitly saying it, it will make for a much more powerful statement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?