Where to kill a couple of hours in Oxford? Watch

foolsihboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all, I'm heading to Oxford for an open day on Wednesday, which should be interesting. However, I'm going on my own and find myself in Oxford a few hours too early. Having never been before, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of somewhere to kill a couple of hours with a book?
Xdaamno
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
beep
Derek_the_Sheep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Xdaamno)
Depending on what time of day you're there, I'd recommend the Botanical Gardens for that sort of thing.
Ummm - a bit chilly! - except in the glass houses, which aren't really good places to curl up with a book. Go and park yourself in one of the many coffee shops in Oxford - try in the covered market, for example, or simply go and hang around in the Ashmolean museum.

DtS
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Derek_the_Sheep)
try in the covered market
yes
Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The market is on in Gloucester Green on Wednesdays, so you could walk around the stalls and kill 45 mins or so. Then just off the market (between the market and Magdalen St) is an alleyway and in there is a pub called Far From the Madding Crowd, which is a good place to read a book.
mishieru07
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You could probably find a nice cafe to chill at if you want to read? Otherwise, I'd recommend the Pitt Rivers and Ashmolean museums.
dancinginrainbows
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For good places to read: Oxford is full of cafes, and its cafes are full of people reading... The Missing Bean on Turl Street does amazing coffee and sandwiches if you can find a seat. There are loads of great pubs in Oxford - Far From the Madding Crowd, The Turf Tavern and The Royal Blenheim are all central and do good ale. If you're not scared of a little cold and it's not raining, University Parks is a beautiful place to read (or Christ Church Meadows if that's more convenient). If you want to do something other than read, the Pitt Rivers museum and the Natural History museum attached to it are really, really good.
foolsihboy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for the help everyone! I've got a few things to look out for now (weather depending!)
jobanana
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just wander around. You don't need a specific thing to go and see - there is so much, and it will all offer itself to you. Go into colleges. Enjoy the architecture. Be impressed. It is a pretty nice place.
dani t
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
go to the café on the roof of the ashmolean, i practically live there. its brilliant
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (386)
30.9%
The paper was reasonable (490)
39.23%
Not feeling great about that exam... (217)
17.37%
It was TERRIBLE (156)
12.49%

Watched Threads