The Student Room Group

Hongkong Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clh_hilary
Agree. Engineering is very looked down upon in Hong Kong. The investment banks like it though.

Yeah it sucks that hk doesn't really have room for engineers. Especially mechanical engineers I think which I what I want to study
Original post by nibbles360
Yeah it sucks that hk doesn't really have room for engineers. Especially mechanical engineers I think which I what I want to study

I don't know one field from another, but I do know engineering students are hired by ibanks.
I don't know one field from another, but I do know engineering students are hired by ibanks.

I have heard that the double degree in HKUST for engineering with BBA is really good... That's actually my another option :tongue:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Thanks for replying. I'll have to discuss with my parents

Would you mind telling me your conditional offer for Imperial College? :smile:

Original post by poydtreechada
I have heard that the double degree in HKUST for engineering with BBA is really good... That's actually my another option :tongue:

Double degree? Never heard of that programme. BBAs in general are quite useless.
Double degree? Never heard of that programme. BBAs in general are quite useless.

Yes, BBA basically are not about knowledge, they might not have solid things to learn, they're actually training soft skills... So it really depends on person :tongue:

Are you studying in university right now? :smile:

Would you mind telling me your conditional offer for Imperial College? :smile:

A* maths A* physics A chem for GCE A levels
Yes, BBA basically are not about knowledge, they might not have solid things to learn, they're actually training soft skills... So it really depends on person :tongue:

Also, the postgraduate progression is very unclear. Obviously MBA would be the pathway to postgraduate studies, but MBAs are often taken by experienced professionals from not necessarily relevant academic disciplines. Though obviously depends on your programme - I'm not entirely familiar with HKUST's BBA except that you can choose different majors in it.

The other problem with BBAs is that in the business field, connections and reputation are more important. As a result, HKU would always have an upper hand simply because seniors with local qualifications are often from HKU, or any other university with an established brand in the English-speaking world. HKUST as a result has a graduate salary not comparable to that of HKU's, CUHK's, and HKIED's (this for obvious reasons). One lesser-known fact is that HK Polytechnic University also has a higher average graduate salary than HKUST does.

As for the skills a BBA trains you...I think the 'soft skills' can be obtained from most other programmes. And from what I heard, companies are upset that BBAs are not good enough in mathematics.
Are you studying in university right now? :smile:

Yes. HKU finalist. Literally one more class tomorrow and that's it. Only need to turn in my dissertation (I already have submitted the final draft to my supervisor). Going for my master's come October.
A* maths A* physics A chem for GCE A levels

Ohhh... You are doing ALevels in UK right now? :smile: You only took three subjects? :tongue:

Yes. HKU finalist. Literally one more class tomorrow and that's it. Only need to turn in my dissertation (I already have submitted the final draft to my supervisor). Going for my master's come October.

What are you studying at HKU? :smile:

Ohhh... You are doing ALevels in UK right now? :smile: You only took three subjects? :tongue:

I believe conditional offers tend to only specify conditions for three subjects.
What are you studying at HKU? :smile:

A bachelor of education in language education, majoring English and education, minoring history. The programme included an immersion to The University of Queensland, and I also have attended University of Cambridge for a term.
I believe conditional offers tend to only specify conditions for three subjects.

Quite strange... My friend's conditional was A*AAA, A* in Maths/Physics.

Quite strange... My friend's conditional was A*AAA, A* in Maths/Physics.

I'm sure it varies from person to person, but the conditions, as reported by the media, tend to either come with three subjects or just unconditional. Oxford is said to give out AAA, Cambridge is said to have the mark set at A*AA, whilst Imperial was once reported to have given one at A*A*A*.
I'm sure it varies from person to person, but the conditions, as reported by the media, tend to either come with three subjects or just unconditional. Oxford is said to give out AAA, Cambridge is said to have the mark set at A*AA, whilst Imperial was once reported to have given one at A*A*A*.

My conditional offer for HKUST Global Business is A* in Maths, Phyics and Chemistry but I am scared I cannot reach the offer. My mum super wants me to do GBus and I am scared I will disappoint her... :frown: What am I gonna do?! @@"

My conditional offer for HKUST Global Business is A* in Maths, Phyics and Chemistry but I am scared I cannot reach the offer. My mum super wants me to do GBus and I am scared I will disappoint her... :frown: What am I gonna do?! @@"

Hong Kong's universities do tend to have very high conditions, and it is very often for our programmes to have higher admission scores than any other prestigious university on earth. So in that sense, it's not really that 'worthwhile' to get into an HK one unless it's cheaper for you.

HKUST's global business programme is very sought-after, and they do have supposedly good job prospect, so it would indeed be great if you could get in. But it's also possible to transfer into the programme, reading a general BBA first. Though that's by no means a guarantee of course.
I got offer from HKU to do BBA with offer AAA, but I'm declining it.
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
I got offer from HKU to do BBA with offer AAA, but I'm declining it.

Why? HKU is really good... You have better option? :smile: Did you apply to CU or UST also? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest