Questions on Personal Statement for MORSE Watch

TChaaraoui
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I want to apply for MORSE at Warwick, but all my other applications are either just Maths, or Maths and Economics, so my personal statement is largely focused on both of them. If I only talked about them, that hinder my chances of getting in, or do I have to include some info about statistics ?
Prepotency
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Warwick expect the majority of MORSE applicants to be applying for Mathematics or Mathematics and Economics at other universities. They realise, and are a proud of the fact, that not many universities offer the course MORSE. Therefore, in your personal statement, make sure you explain why you're interested in Mathematics (they wont care about the Economics as much, because MORSE is primarily Mathematics).
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Prepotency)
MORSE is primarily Mathematics
I was agreeing with you until then!
MORSE is under the Stats department and is more focused on stats than any of the other departments (though it is easy to bias your 'path' through the course in a direction of your choice).
I would try to talk about stats a bit in your personal statement, but don't worry too much about it: you could maybe just talk about the use of statistics in economics if you like.
Prepotency
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
MORSE is under the Stats department and is more focused on stats than any of the other departments (though it is easy to bias your 'path' through the course in a direction of your choice).
I would try to talk about stats a bit in your personal statement, but don't worry too much about it: you could maybe just talk about the use of statistics in economics if you like.
I was mainly referring to the fact that for the 1st year, 48 CATS come from the Mathematics department (Analysis, Sets and Numbers, Linear Algebra) whereas 36 CATS come from the Statistics department (Lab, Techniques and Introduction to Probability).

As for the optional modules, there are no statistics options in the 1st year, but there are five maths options.
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Prepotency)
I was mainly referring to the fact that for the 1st year, 48 CATS come from the Mathematics department (Analysis, Sets and Numbers, Linear Algebra) whereas 36 CATS come from the Statistics department (Lab, Techniques and Introduction to Probability).

As for the optional modules, there are no statistics options in the 1st year, but there are five maths options.
Okay fair enough, but most people on MORSE do no or very little maths from Y2 onwards (maybe 1 or 2 modules).
jamesisenglish
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TChaaraoui)
I want to apply for MORSE at Warwick, but all my other applications are either just Maths, or Maths and Economics, so my personal statement is largely focused on both of them. If I only talked about them, that hinder my chances of getting in, or do I have to include some info about statistics ?
To give you an idea, my PS was geared entirely towards pure maths for 4/5 of my choices, and I'm pretty sure I was amongst the first few on here to get an offer for MMORSE last year
Dilzo999
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry to hijack your thread OP .
I've applied recently, yet I only had 1 sentence which was related to Statistics and the majority of my personal statement was economics. Does this mean I'm disadvantaged?
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dilzo999)
Sorry to hi-jack your thread OP .
I've applied recently, yet I only had 1 sentence which was related to Statistics and the majority of my personal statement was economics. Does this mean I'm disadvantaged?
You'll probably be fine!
How much did you talk about maths-type things?
Did you mainly talk about macroecon?
Dilzo999
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You'll probably be fine!
How much did you talk about maths-type things?
Did you mainly talk about macroecon?
Well I read a maths book. went to a maths lecture and that's it. Everything else was economics and yes it was macro.
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dilzo999)
Well I read a maths book. went to a maths lecture and that's it. Everything else was economics and yes it was macro.
Okay, well assuming you're doing maths and further, and are predicted the top grade (or close) in both, I think you'll be in with a chance
I can't however say for definite.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Jun '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (386)
30.88%
The paper was reasonable (491)
39.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (217)
17.36%
It was TERRIBLE (156)
12.48%

Watched Threads