Mount Toubkal Climb - STA Travel Watch

Danny_93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Howdy!

Just wondering if anyone has climbed this mountain, been on a similar trip with sta or any other experience?

I been through the valley recently In february, visiting Sidi Chamararouch, Toubkals only just further on.

Looking at expanding to the sahara as well, went to Zagora before,

Yehh did a week long mini tour before through Morocco!

Many Thanks People Dan

Sorry for the rubbish camera quality haha!
Attached files
Pariah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
if you are just looking for recommendations for a trip to morocco ke adventure travel do loads of different trips there and are a good operator
brabzzz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I climbed late September before last.

Sleazyjet flight to Marrakech, cheap hostel there, cheap shared taxi to mountain. There you're paying about a fiver a night for accommodation and maybe a tenner if you want them to cook for you (houses/huts on the circuit).

In September is was effin' cold, snow, ice, the works. For Toubkal you'll want good boots and crampons (you can rent rigid crampons at the hut by 'base camp', though i use 3 season boots and Kahtoola micro-spike baby crampons - they're enough for the walk up.

The 'base camp' huts are comfortable with good food, though i camped - if doing that, you'll want a good mountain tent and a sleeping bag to at least -15C (assuming you're layering it with a down jacket and other warm stuff). A liquid multi-fuel stove is also the go in the 3rd world - camping gaz cylinders are of various fittings and standards and hard to find.

Suggest trekking poles rather than an ice axe, thought if you're going on an extended trek over some of the passes at that time of year, you'll want an axe, a compass and a good idea of what to do up in the hills - it is remote, cold and high. The locals are not much help - outside of sunny days they don't venture up there.

Can't be arsed looking up the weather in Feb, but if snow, ice and cold are on the cards, it is not a walk in the park. If you know your stuff, go it independently (NOT alone though), if not, go with an tour operator.

Have fun. Beautiful part of the world
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.17%
The paper was reasonable (395)
42.52%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.16%
It was TERRIBLE (150)
16.15%

Watched Threads