Postgraduate Cert without a degree. Watch

jamie_tsr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

I left school pretty much straight after GCSE's straight in to work ( many years ago ) and kinda of wished I had did a degree in software development.

To cut a boring story short My job has been in software development and it's been pretty good and I am at senior level developer with big company's for years ( and freelance ).

Due to a proven track record I can possibly do a MSc but more likely a PDCert first ( so the Uni says ).

Now I ask because a short while back I applied for a new post and didn't get it but instead go a nice email back saying though the skills and experience are up to the task the post requires a minimum of a degree 2:1. So would The PDCert, PDDip and MSc be held in the same light without the BSc ? As they are very expensive and I would have to work an extra couple of days to pay for it LOL ( wishful thinking ).

Anyone gone down the route ?

Thanks
J
jamie_tsr
Rep:
?
hi all,

I guess the above is a situation not many people have come across ( understandable ) ? shame as the deadline is the end of December and still none the wiser really ( not wise enough to spend a few K lol ).

Thanks
J
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's no set rules as to whether or not they would accept a postgrad course instead - you'd have to ask the employer, and it will vary between employers.

Do be aware that if you were to doa PGDip or MSc, then you would no longer be eligible for student finance for an undergraduate degree if you wanted to go back and do one later on. This is due to the ELQ rules, so don't enter into a postgrad course blindly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jamie_tsr
Rep:
?
Thanks very much, yes just looked into that ELQ and was not aware of the fact. But as I'm only really interested at this moment is doing the software engineering course and as PGCert and PGDip are of a higher qualification ( and quicker for me to do ) I shouldn't need to do the undergraduate BSc.

Well that's my logic but all comes down to if PGCert or PGDip on its own is just as highly regarded as a BSc + PGCert or PGDip, and that as you say is probably down to individual employers as you suggest.

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.17%
The paper was reasonable (395)
42.52%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.16%
It was TERRIBLE (150)
16.15%

Watched Threads