GCSE French listening advice?? Watch

Frannoooooooo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So far I've got A* in my writing and speaking section of the grade and also any reading mock papers we've done. However my listening skills just aren't the same, I really want to get an A* overall if I can but this listening test is preventing it. Any good techniques on how to improve listening skills?
Anna Schoon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Frannoooooooo)
So far I've got A* in my writing and speaking section of the grade and also any reading mock papers we've done. However my listening skills just aren't the same, I really want to get an A* overall if I can but this listening test is preventing it. Any good techniques on how to improve listening skills?
Practice, practice and more practice is the answer, I'm afraid!

The BBC has lots of listening resources here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/french/

I haven't used this site but it comes recommended for GCSE level:
http://www.ashcombe.surrey.sch.uk/07...eo-index.shtml

And this site:
http://www.frenchrevision.co.uk/
has GCSE past papers going back to 1998! Click on "Intermediate" and then on "GCSE" to get to the right page.

Bon courage!
Batthews
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try and get some cd's from either your school or the local library to listen to at home. You can also download mp3's from: http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/fin...French&level=S. BTW I found the same problem when I did GCSE, so you are not alone. French is not phonetic.
Frannoooooooo
Rep:
?
Ohh wow thanks for your replies! These resources look amazing! I hope they work

Thanks again
coopertroopa03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What are you getting in listening at the moment? I got A*s in writing, reading and speaking and a B in listening, and ended up with A* overall I can't promise it's the same everywhere but you should be fine with B or above.
I agree that practice is the best thing though. Get a few cds from school or try the BBC website. Maybe try reading while you listen at first and then gradually read less, to make sure you're connecting the sounds of words with how they're written. I find being able to imagine the sentence in my head helps a lot
Frannoooooooo
Rep:
?
(Original post by coopertroopa03)
What are you getting in listening at the moment? I got A*s in writing, reading and speaking and a B in listening, and ended up with A* overall I can't promise it's the same everywhere but you should be fine with B or above.
I agree that practice is the best thing though. Get a few cds from school or try the BBC website. Maybe try reading while you listen at first and then gradually read less, to make sure you're connecting the sounds of words with how they're written. I find being able to imagine the sentence in my head helps a lot
The last listening test I think I got an A if I remember correctly. BUT there was a lot of guess work so it wasn't really a solid A. I'd prefer to rely on my actual ability to understand the French rather than guessing haha Hearing you get an A* overall with a B in listening has made me slightly more confident thought thank you, which exam board was your GCSE in?
coopertroopa03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know what you mean! I guess most of the vocab used is in the textbooks and everything but it's still a lot to learn and understand on the spot! I can't really give you any advice on that, sorry I did mine with AQA
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (390)
45.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (110)
12.97%

Watched Threads