Help with universities? Watch

Luca77
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone, I currently have a big dilemma I was looking for honest opinions!

Well I was at UCL during the academic year 2012-2013.
I was barred from exams due to in attendance. And Now I am meant to restart the same course at UCL, in 2014-2015.

I also reapplied trough UCAS, to some universities, mainly the one that interest me is Exeter.

My first year at UCL, Last year, was truly awful, I did not get accommodation, barely made any friends, had a hard time figuring everything out in such a huge university, and was just a miserable year overall.
I now have applied for halls for this upcoming following year. And I'm sure things will get better.

On the other side, I have many friends that are currently at exeter, and are having a good time, thought studying a lot too. The university feels much cosier, there are loads of sports and activities organized, and is much more friendly town towards students.

I'm not sure what to do. Taking money out of the equation. Which one would you chose?
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sometimes a fresh start can be a good idea, and if you didn't enjoy UCL the first time around, it may not get better the second. If you like the "feel" of Exeter better, then maybe you would be happier there. Equally, the grass isn't always greener, and not being in the same year as your friends could cause some issues. You might end up feeling lonely if they all move away and you haven't made friends in your own year/ on your own course.

I would probably chose to leave UCL and go for Exeter though.
Luca77
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you, I'm not sure wether it's worth to stay in a place I don't like, thought it is a top uni in the world, so thinking about the future, ucl seems the reasonable choice.
SilverstarDJ
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd be tempted to give it another shot at UCL. Part of University is what you make of it. Being in halls will be easier to meet people in your course and year, and I'd also recommend joining in uni societies - I am sure UCL have lots of sports or other activities too being such a big uni. I personally didn't like uni much in first year, my second year was better (where I made some close friendships with some new people I was living with) and my third year has been the best so far.

Your friends might be having a good time at Exeter, but equally they might have just found the right people to be with. You might find, as it was mentioned before, that your friends being in different years may be a problem. I personally wouldn't move to a uni just because my friends are there - because from personal experience I have had a lot of friendships which didn't last and know they could all change.

If however, you like the uni itself and the course as well, and just want a fresh start then perhaps it's one possibility to think of. Up to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (201)
22.02%
The paper was reasonable (389)
42.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (175)
19.17%
It was TERRIBLE (148)
16.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise