Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I have a Samsung S4 on contract on Three for £33 a month with unlimited data. There was no upfront cost at the time I got it.

I've had it since June and up until about a month ago, I've been using an iPhone 5s which I won. I originally thought it was a better phone but it isn't.

Because I changed my sim card from Micro SIM to nano SIM in the 3 store (so it'd fit in my iPhone 5s), I needed to change it back to a Micro SIM for it to fit back in the Samsung S4. So I went into Three and did that. They didn't swap the SIM over like last time but gave me some stupid adapter thing that I have to place the nano sim into to convert it to micro sim.

Basically, the stupid thing was too loose (I knew there'd be an issue), and the sim card came lose as I pushed in the adapter so it was just stuck half way into the sim card slot. I then stupidly pulled the sim card back out but noticed that some of the contacts built on the actual phone itself ripped upwards. I put the sim card back in the phone and now it says "No SIM"

So now i've got to go back to the stupid iPhone.

What do I do? Complain to Three and get a replacement? Take it to some phone store? (but i'd need to pay), or worst... get a new one!? or that new cheaper high-end Android phone... the Nexus 5 instead!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2scotty)
    Hi! I have a Samsung S4 on contract on Three for £33 a month with unlimited data. There was no upfront cost at the time I got it.

I've had it since June and up until about a month ago, I've been using an iPhone 5s which I won. I originally thought it was a better phone but it isn't.

Because I changed my sim card from Micro SIM to nano SIM in the 3 store (so it'd fit in my iPhone 5s), I needed to change it back to a Micro SIM for it to fit back in the Samsung S4. So I went into Three and did that. They didn't swap the SIM over like last time but gave me some stupid adapter thing that I have to place the nano sim into to convert it to micro sim.

Basically, the stupid thing was too loose (I knew there'd be an issue), and the sim card came lose as I pushed in the adapter so it was just stuck half way into the sim card slot. I then stupidly pulled the sim card back out but noticed that some of the contacts built on the actual phone itself ripped upwards. I put the sim card back in the phone and now it says "No SIM"

So now i've got to go back to the stupid iPhone.

What do I do? Complain to Three and get a replacement? Take it to some phone store? (but i'd need to pay), or worst... get a new one!? or that new cheaper high-end Android phone... the Nexus 5 instead!?
    Luckily the SIM card and micro SD slots in the Galaxy S4 are a removable component rather than being soldered to the main board, so repairs are definitely possible and theoretically shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to replace a single component. I'd definitely be looking into that before anything else :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Luckily the SIM card and micro SD slots in the Galaxy S4 are a removable component rather than being soldered to the main board, so repairs are definitely possible and theoretically shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to replace a single component. I'd definitely be looking into that before anything else :yep:
    Ok! Where would the best place be to fix it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I'm going to buy this and have a go at it

It's such a good phone. Don't really want another!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sim-Card-H...item1c339fdfe6

Ruddy Apple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    :lol:

Why do you know that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)

Why do you know that?
    I didn't before the thread came up, then I just went and checked ifixit's teardown :ahee:

I'm going to buy this and have a go at it

It's such a good phone. Don't really want another!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sim-Card-H...item1c339fdfe6

Ruddy Apple.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Please make sure you do the preperation, it makes thing so much easier.

Watch any youtube videos to help ensure you know what you are doing. Do this beforehand and during the fix.

Also, make sure you have the right tools. Phones often require torx 4/5 screwdrivers which are super tiny (smaller than glasses screws) so you need a decent screwdriver to avoid damaging the screw/ phone. NOTE: This isnt specific to the S4 so check what tools you need before.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I didn't before the thread came up, then I just went and checked ifixit's teardown :ahee:

Good luck
    (Original post by momanium)

Watch any youtube videos to help ensure you know what you are doing. Do this beforehand and during the fix.

Also, make sure you have the right tools. Phones often require torx 4/5 screwdrivers which are super tiny (smaller than glasses screws) so you need a decent screwdriver to avoid damaging the screw/ phone. NOTE: This isnt specific to the S4 so check what tools you need before.

Good luck.
    will do!

thank you!

ReputationRep:

Why do you know that?
    (Original post by Gofre)

Good luck

Good luck.
    I ordered it from ebay... (my first ever ebay/paypal purchase too! blimey! haha) and it says it'll come tomorrow, so i'll have a go after work.

I found a YouTube video which is really quite detailed and which I'll follow along with... If it comes in the post tomorrow, after i've done it, i'll give you all an update I think i'm feeling quite confident about it!

ReputationRep:
    Thought you meant Audi S4 from title!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harreeeee)
    Thought you meant Audi S4 from title!
    what do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    I clicked on this thread thinking you broke your Audi S4, not Samsung. Lol never mind

ReputationRep:
    I ordered it from ebay...
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:

Good luck.
    (Original post by Gofre)

Good luck
    Good luck!
    Some interesting felt tip marks by Samsung on the case...

Taken after installing the new Micro SIM / Micro SD card slot (different network sim card in the pic because I've not asked Three for a replacement Micro one yet)...

...and...

Yahoooooooo!

Thanks for all your advice

ReputationRep:
    Some interesting felt tip marks by Samsung on the case...

Taken after installing the new Micro SIM / Micro SD card slot (different network sim card in the pic because I've not asked Three for a replacement Micro one yet)...

...and...

Yahoooooooo!

Thanks for all your advice
    Congrats, glad it worked out :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Nice one. It makes you feel even better when you realise the ridiculous price phone-shops would charge to replace it!

ReputationRep:
    Nice one. It makes you feel even better when you realise the ridiculous price phone-shops would charge to replace it!
    Indeed! That was £4.99! Plus a bit of free experience thanks to that youtube video!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.