A-level advice/help please? Watch

RoseB96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've been doing a levels in Human Biology, Maths, Economics and Psychology and I just feel like I'm going to fail everything and let everyone down.
I don't know, I just have no motivation for studying anymore. I did well in my gcse's, but a levels just seem so much more difficult. I feel really dumb most times, everything is just too fast paced and I can't keep up with everything. My school are saying to spend 5 hours per week on each subject and I barely spend an hour on each subject per week. I know I need to change and start working hard but I just feel like even if I do work hard I won't get the A grades I'm predicted. I feel really de-motivated and I don't know why. I feel like I'm going to let everyone down and get really bad a levels and that I won't be able to go to university which is something I really want to do.
I have no one to really talk to about this, I'm the first person in my family to do a-levels and everyone is stressing me out when they keep saying they expect me to do well etc etc. My parents expect nothing less than A's. I've done some mock exams in some of my subjects recently and the results were bad to say the least. I got a D in Psychology and in my exam questions for Biology I got D's also. Economics last homework I couldn't even answer the questions.
Did anyone else experience this? How did you pick yourself up? I feel like I'm just destined to fail but I really, really don't want to.

If anyone has any advice at all that they can tell me to help me out a little bit I'd really appreciate it.
Giulia Z
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there.

Firstly, let me tell you YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I have just started my AS Level course and I feel as if I'm drowning in comparison to all my classmates who are finding the transition so much easier. I'm expecting all As as well but I'm not inputting the recommended time (five hours a week). I want to go to a good university so badly and I'm stressing because if I can't handle Year 12, how am I supposed to do anything else in the future?

Anyways, I'm supposed to be helping and not making you feel worse hehes...

Seriously though, I'm about to apply some life rules to myself to help me get into order - healthy of body, healthy of mind (I wish I could quote the latin for you) so I plan on being happy with my eating, sleeping and socializing routine and getting that down. Secondly, I'd focus on pinpointing any points of stress in my life (in my case, my family) and try to soothe the situation or avoid it to save myself unnecessary troubles and tension and stress because it has an unbelievable effect on you and your studies. Thirdly, I'd set down my principles; be realistic - you can't ask yourself to suddenly start studying four hours a week or wake up two hours earlier than you usually do. Understand yourself. Be okay with failure - failing isn't the greatest (I really didn't do well enough in my chem exam this morning) but it's better to fail now than in the actual exam. Take it in and understand that you need to build on it. Get yourself together and do it. Be interested - find something to relax into, to obsess over, to distract yourself effectively.

I think it's important to revaluate your life rather than just than your academics and A Levels. You don't need something straining you out of school at this time! Alright, now onto your studies. What can I say? You've been learning since you were five practically. You know what works for you (you can't be expected to have As if you didn't do well before) and you just need to get cracking. Studying must be fun and well planned out and enforced, with breaks of course because it's unrealistic for most to be working for hours, unless that's your kind of thing of course.

Others can only help you so much regarding A Levels - it is an independent course (frustratingly so) and so you'll need to tweak your lifestyle around to fix it up!

I sincerely hope this helped and remember to take my advice with a pinch of salt. This is just one person's opinion and may completely not work for you! Though I hope it did. Good luck and keep at it!
RoseB96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Giulia Z)
Hi there.

Firstly, let me tell you YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I have just started my AS Level course and I feel as if I'm drowning in comparison to all my classmates who are finding the transition so much easier. I'm expecting all As as well but I'm not inputting the recommended time (five hours a week). I want to go to a good university so badly and I'm stressing because if I can't handle Year 12, how am I supposed to do anything else in the future?

Anyways, I'm supposed to be helping and not making you feel worse hehes...

Seriously though, I'm about to apply some life rules to myself to help me get into order - healthy of body, healthy of mind (I wish I could quote the latin for you) so I plan on being happy with my eating, sleeping and socializing routine and getting that down. Secondly, I'd focus on pinpointing any points of stress in my life (in my case, my family) and try to soothe the situation or avoid it to save myself unnecessary troubles and tension and stress because it has an unbelievable effect on you and your studies. Thirdly, I'd set down my principles; be realistic - you can't ask yourself to suddenly start studying four hours a week or wake up two hours earlier than you usually do. Understand yourself. Be okay with failure - failing isn't the greatest (I really didn't do well enough in my chem exam this morning) but it's better to fail now than in the actual exam. Take it in and understand that you need to build on it. Get yourself together and do it. Be interested - find something to relax into, to obsess over, to distract yourself effectively.

I think it's important to revaluate your life rather than just than your academics and A Levels. You don't need something straining you out of school at this time! Alright, now onto your studies. What can I say? You've been learning since you were five practically. You know what works for you (you can't be expected to have As if you didn't do well before) and you just need to get cracking. Studying must be fun and well planned out and enforced, with breaks of course because it's unrealistic for most to be working for hours, unless that's your kind of thing of course.

Others can only help you so much regarding A Levels - it is an independent course (frustratingly so) and so you'll need to tweak your lifestyle around to fix it up!

I sincerely hope this helped and remember to take my advice with a pinch of salt. This is just one person's opinion and may completely not work for you! Though I hope it did. Good luck and keep at it!
Sorry for the late reply, sort of forgot about my account But thank you for the advice, it's helped me put things into perspective a bit more. Hopefully I'll be okay.
Giulia Z
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm glad I managed to help a little Things are always so much easier said than done >.<
MissC123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I just started A levels as well and just as Giulia said : YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
I get lots of pressure from my family and the fact am doing challenging subjects (bio chem maths spanish) doesn't help!!!! At first I was like, I'll be alright but seriously it's such a big transition from GCSEs.
I personally havent gotten myself into a proper study routine, hopefully I will soon.
All I can say is be courageous and try and work hard from now, you'll be happy you did in the future
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (628)
80.62%
Leave (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise