Need cheering up Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
A family member died this morning and tomorrow my mum is having a major operation under general anaesthetic and I can't be there to look after her.

I can't concentrate on any of my work (despite the impending deadlines) and don't really have anyone to talk to.

If anyone can think of anything to cheer me up or motivate me to get on with these essays then I would be really grateful if you would share them.
Emily_28
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey,

I can sympathise, we lost my Granddad and father in law in the same week. It's been nearly two years. There isn't anything I can say, I know, but I am sorry for your loss. It doesn't ever get easier to lose someone you care about, but it becomes gradually less difficult to remember them without sadness. One of my favourite quotes - 'Don't be sad because it's over, smile because it happened.'

I hope you can put some faith in the staff of the operating department that will be performing your mothers surgery. I work in the Recovery unit of a Regional hospital, and these people are generally very good at what they do, from the Support workers to the Surgeons and everyone in between. I've also had a major operation myself, a laparoscopic cholecystectomy, in the same department in which I now work, (sounds more impressive than it is, I assure you), and survived, much to my relief. Believe me when I say, I felt compelled to ask the Doctor performing my pre op assessment about the fatality rates.

Do you mind if I ask what your studying? If you are struggling to concentrate, perhaps taking a break, maybe getting a snack (I always find a bit of ice cream does wonders), may work. Also, remember that as difficult as these things are to deal with, your work is necessary. If you can, allow yourself some time to grieve also.

Also, send me a message, whenever you want, I have a extreme fondness for conversations.

best wishes.
Ebony19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry to hear about your situation. It's understandable that you'd be struggling to concentrate.

I hope you've informed your school/college/uni of your circumstances, you'd almost definitely be allowed recognition of exceptional circumstances.

In terms of getting on with the essays try and break it down into small chunks and have regular breaks with little treats like maybe a food you like or something. If you really are struggling so much speak to someone at your institution.

You say you have noone to talk to this would be a perfect time to check any opportunities for counseling offered by your place of study. It seems awkward and a lot of people are embarrassed to admit they just need someone to talk to. You don't have to tell anyone you're seeing a counselor and it can be somewhere you go regularly to clear your head so things don't build up and interfere with your concentration.

I don't know you but the fact that you're still concerned about your essays to me says you're trying to keep things together so good on you but don't be too hard on yourself.

Don't you have any other family members you can talk to as well?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (535)
26.35%
The paper was reasonable (884)
43.55%
Not feeling great about that exam (397)
19.56%
It was TERRIBLE (214)
10.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise