Unit 4 AQA Acylation and (amide + sodium hydroxide) Watch

CasualSoul
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm looking at the mechanism in which an amine reacts with an acid chloride (methylamine is reacting with ethanoyl chloride). Next to this it says "Hint: the amine can be regenerated by reaction with sodium hydroxide" however this is all it says and nothing about this reaction with sodium hydroxide is explained.

In the mechanism we start with ethanoyl chloride and methyl amine and obtain an N-sub. amide (i.e. N-methyl ethanamide) so if we wanted to get our original amine back we would do N-methylethanamide + sodium hydroxide ---> one of the products would be methyl amine and what would the other products be

Also they've just put this hint about the regeneration of the amine next to the N-sub amide question but does this generally work for all types of amides i.e. if we take any amide and then add sodium hydroxide we will get an amine?

The fact that they've only put hint and then one sentence without explaining in the book makes it difficult to understand. I can't find anything about it in the spec either :eek2:
username1042883
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It may be similar to the breakdown of esters (page 76) but I'm not sure. I don't like the AQA books.

If it was, you could end up with sodium ethanoate and methylamine, but I need to check that first.

Edit: I think I'm right. Found this:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicpr...ydrolysis.html
CasualSoul
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by charlesn202)
It may be similar to the breakdown of esters (page 76) but I'm not sure. I don't like the AQA books.

If it was, you could end up with sodium ethanoate and methylamine, but I need to check that first.

Edit: I think I'm right. Found this:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicpr...ydrolysis.html
omg yeah that looks right. Thanks mate
username1042883
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CasualSoul)
omg yeah that looks right. Thanks mate
No problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (423)
30.28%
The paper was reasonable (551)
39.44%
Not feeling great about that exam... (239)
17.11%
It was TERRIBLE (184)
13.17%

Watched Threads