MacBook Pro (7)
77.78%
Batumelly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello
I need to change my laptop which is 6 years old and I have this 2 options above. I use laptop for mainly student staff (typing, preparing presentation, writing articles and so on), I also like to Photography(editing photos but not using photoshop) and editing videos. what do you think which model will be more appropriate?
MacBook Air vs MacBook Pro

Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Batumelly)
Hello
I need to change my laptop which is 6 years old and I have this 2 options above. I use laptop for mainly student staff (typing, preparing presentation, writing articles and so on), I also like to Photography(editing photos but not using photoshop) and editing videos. what do you think which model will be more appropriate?
MacBook Air vs MacBook Pro

The extra grunt the full power CPU of a MacBook Pro will make a difference when video and photo editing, for the other standard student fare you've listed they'll both do great. Don't expect too much from the entry level MBP's integrated graphics if you plan on doing intensive photo/video editing, but otherwise it'll do the job nicely and the £100 jump between the regular 13" Pro and the 13" retina is well worth it in my opinion. However if you do want to do some hardcore editing whether that's for uni or for other projects, for the same price as even the entry level MacBook Air you can pick up Windows Machines with far superior graphics power.
darius12345
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got the Macbook Air, I have also got a Mac Mini Core i7 (I had an inheritance from my grandparents death and spent it on computers, travelling and saved the rest). Back to the point, the Macbook Air is very fast and I believe it to be the best ultra book on the market (as well as the 1st commercially successful one). The Air is v fast due to it's SSD and I have used it for word processing, web browsing and a bit of photoshop. It has been very good for all that, I highly recommend it. Personally, though if you are big on editing video I would go with the MacPro - if you only do it casually I'd say the Air is better because I like it's super fast SSD and the fact it's so light and portable.
AdamskiUK
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Air is not designed for heavy-usage tasks. Editing photo's isn't exactly 'heavy', but combined with moderate-heavy internet usage and other applications such as Skype/E-Mail clients, you'll struggle to maintain the Air's speeds in the mid-distant future.

It wouldn't last 6 years. At that price, it would be silly if it didn't! If I were you, I'd much rather go for a non-retina 15" MBP.

For Uni next year I intend to go for a top-line 15" rMBP to last me the whole 5 years!
white_noise
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Macbook Pro and then buy some RAM from Crucial and switch it out yourself so you have 8GB.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
31.92%
The paper was reasonable (405)
49.15%
Not feeling great about that exam... (92)
11.17%
It was TERRIBLE (64)
7.77%

Watched Threads