Why are people gay? Watch

snowdrop965479
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys, I was just wondering "what makes someone gay?" Before people start calling me homophobic, this is just out of extreme curiosity. People tend to say that they are "born" gay so is there something different about them such as is it something in their brain? Genes? Hormones? A guy on the Daily Mail said he "turned" gay after he had a stroke (article here) so could it be that there is some sort of biological difference?

On the other hand, could it all be environmental? Is it the way a person has been brought up that makes the gay? I have heard from a lot of gay friends that they are afraid to tell their parents they are gay because they are extremely against it. Could growing up in a homophobic household make them more likely to be gay? Or on the other hand, could it be that living in a gay household make them more likely to be gay? Against this argument, animals can also be homosexual so it is less likely because they don't go through the same experiences as humans.

Sorry this is not meant to offend anyone AT ALL, it's just a genuine question. So as TSR is filled with a lot intelligent people, i thought i would ask here, what do you think makes people gay?
Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The fact that I'm attracted to other men, instead of women?

Nah I'm interested to see if anyone says anything good, would love to know why I am
Masoudy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My answer:

- People are also born pedophiles, nothing special

Typical TSR answers:

- Gays should go to hell
- Gays are the norm, straight is something wrong
- I was raped when I was 9, I was forced to be gay, I am not actually gay, I just love men

Biological Answer

- Three factors affect human behaviour: Genetics, Environment and Epigenetics. Epigenetics is a change in the chromosome without affecting the DNA sequence itself. It has proven that all kinds of environmental factors, from pesticides and pollutants to diet, smoking and alcohol, can alter methylation patterns in DNA (i.e. epigenetics) which alter a human behaviour

Basically you have 33% genetic pressure, 33% environmental pressure and 33% epigenetic pressure to do something. Epigenetic itself is a hot topic nowadays and isn't fully understood yet
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by luckylaurax)
Hey guys, I was just wondering "what makes someone gay?" Before people start calling me homophobic, this is just out of extreme curiosity. People tend to say that they are "born" gay so is there something different about them such as is it something in their brain? Genes? Hormones? A guy on the Daily Mail said he "turned" gay after he had a stroke (article here) so could it be that there is some sort of biological difference?

On the other hand, could it all be environmental? Is it the way a person has been brought up that makes the gay? I have heard from a lot of gay friends that they are afraid to tell their parents they are gay because they are extremely against it. Could growing up in a homophobic household make them more likely to be gay? Or on the other hand, could it be that living in a gay household make them more likely to be gay? Against this argument, animals can also be homosexual so it is less likely because they don't go through the same experiences as humans.

Sorry this is not meant to offend anyone AT ALL, it's just a genuine question. So as TSR is filled with a lot intelligent people, i thought i would ask here, what do you think makes people gay?
It's not really definitely known what "makes someone gay" but I think it's probably just something caused by a combination of the factor's you've mentioned (genes, environmental). As your sexuality is obviously decided by the structure of your brain then it's not surprising that a brain injury could cause a change in sexual orientation. I doubt the peers opinion of homosexuality plays much of a part though.
PeaceTreaty
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well there's the psychological argument as to why people are gay, though most don't believe it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oedipus_complex
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electra_complex

For those who can't be bothered to read:

"In classical Freudian psychoanalytic theory, child's identification with the same-sex parent is the successful resolution of the Oedipus complex and of the Electra complex; key psychological experiences that are necessary for the development of a mature sexual role and identity. Sigmund Freud further proposed that boys and girls experience the complexes differently: boys in a form of castration anxiety, girls in a form of penis envy; and that unsuccessful resolution of the complexes might lead to neurosis, paedophilia, and homosexuality."
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
Good question, waiting on an answer.
overthelove
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why are people straight?
PeaceTreaty
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by overthelove)
Why are people straight?
Reproduction?
alow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Masoudy)
People are also born pedophiles, nothing special
Of all the possible examples you use paedophilia?

Spoiler:
Show
You're a ****.
overthelove
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PeaceTreaty)
Reproduction?
Why does reproduction define whether a person is straight?
Edit: I see your reasoning for it now!
desdemonata
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well there's the psychological argument as to why people are gay, though most don't believe it:

No one really knows the real reason.
...? They're complexes about wanting the parents of the opposite sex, not the same sex.
alow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

No one really knows the real reason.
That is the exact opposite. :facepalm2:
Shazzarr
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
By being a human being.
PeaceTreaty
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by desdemonata)
...? They're complexes about wanting the parents of the opposite sex, not the same sex.
"In classical Freudian psychoanalytic theory, child's identification with the same-sex parent is the successful resolution of the Oedipus complex and of the Electra complex; key psychological experiences that are necessary for the development of a mature sexual role and identity. Sigmund Freud further proposed that boys and girls experience the complexes differently: boys in a form of castration anxiety, girls in a form of penis envy; and that unsuccessful resolution of the complexes might lead to neurosis, paedophilia, and homosexuality."
snowdrop965479
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I think PeaceTreaty meant that people are biologically geared towards the opposite sex so that we can reproduce. So what changes this from happening? Why are they geared towards the same gender?
Kiss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alow)
Of all the possible examples you use paedophilia?

Spoiler:
Show
You're a ****.
How is he a ****?
GrumpyCat
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Something to do with how peeps mature in the womb, I think.

That and enviroment.
Little Wolf Taima
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why are people straight? Is it environmental?

I'm bisexual and don't understand what makes people only like one gender and not the other.

I'm of the belief that all people are bisexual to some degree and societical pressure makes them subconsciously or consciously lean one way or the other. Especially in men, they seem to be so fixated on identifying as 'gay' and coming to terms with this counterculture identity that they don't think about being allowed to like women too.

Every bisexual guy is labeled gay... 100% gay guys, do you want to enlighten me? Do you see women like just your mothers and sisters too much to think of them sexually? I mean bisexual men are even stigmatised in the lgbt community.

In one sense a preference for the same sex is abnormal because it doesn't result in offspring and as animals We will be naturally inclined to find someone to reproduce with, but in many cultures it's not considered off to also like people of the same sex. Or men are for having 'fun' with and women are just for making babies with.

I think people should stop being obsessed with identifying with one side of the spectrum or another. Most straight people admit dabbling with someone of the same sex whilst drunk and most gay people will admit to seeing one or two people of the opposite sex attractive at one time or another. Or maybe everyone finds everyone potentially attractive but the same feelings that put most people off of incest because it'd feel 'wrong' get in the way. My dear gay friend of many years always told me he found me exceptionally attractive but I saw him as too much of an uncle and he saw me too much of a niece..
blackrose1234567
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
vaginas are weird bro
BefuddledPenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I'm bisexual, and didn't know until I was about eleven, early puberty is when people tend to realise that they swing one way or the other (or both ways) the fact that the first time people start to have any sexual or romantic interest in people the very start of puberty implies that it is innate, or at least determined prior to puberty. I remembering hearing from some sexual sociologist (I'm sorry, I can't remember where) that sexual orientation is cemented at the age of about two or three, but they don't know whether or not it's genetic, environmental or a bit of both. There are instances involving identical twins in which one is straight and one is gay, raised in the same household. So in that instance, sexual orientation is neither simple genetics or environmental, so it could be an aspect of your genetic make-up that only comes into play under very particular circumstances, but we don't know what those are.

Put simply, we don't know yet, but we're trying to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.55%
The paper was reasonable (403)
45.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.6%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.42%

Watched Threads