Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know peoples opinions on my situation and want to know what would happen, if anything, if I failed gcse triple science?

Science has always bored me, I most definitely will not be taking it at a level (I'm considering english lang, history, art and spanish) and last year I got my final gcse in chemistry and got an A. I want to focus on my other subjects and putting hard work into biology and physics seems a total waste of time if I have no intention in taking them further, so I think I will most likely fail biology and physics. Do you think there will be any impact on me failing these subjects, for example do universities look for gcse's in science? I've already got an a in chemistry, surely that's enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aGrape)
    I'd like to know peoples opinions on my situation and want to know what would happen, if anything, if I failed gcse triple science?

Science has always bored me, I most definitely will not be taking it at a level (I'm considering english lang, history, art and spanish) and last year I got my final gcse in chemistry and got an A. I want to focus on my other subjects and putting hard work into biology and physics seems a total waste of time if I have no intention in taking them further, so I think I will most likely fail biology and physics. Do you think there will be any impact on me failing these subjects, for example do universities look for gcse's in science? I've already got an a in chemistry, surely that's enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fail? As in a U?

Most unis will want Cs in English + Maths + Science GCSEs so it could disadvantage you.

If you're just talking about getting a B and you don't want to do science A Levels or a science degree it should be fine. Although it might disadvantage you if you want to go to Oxford as they put a lot of weight on GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    Burger King beckons.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say work on it, what I had to do for Electronic Products, scraped through with a C. You don't want a blemish on your record that will close a lot of doors for you even if you aren't taking sciences any further. I'm glad I got that C as I worked pretty damn hard for it and probably the grade i'm most proud of.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I seriously do not think that it will cause you a lot of grief. A lot of universities ask for a C in English (occasionally maths), but they don't often ask for this in Science. As long as you're not thinking about applying to a science course, I don't think low grades in science will seriously damage you.

However...

There is a common belief at GCSE that you can boost your grades in some subjects by forgetting about others. This barely ever works. Generally, when people do this, they just end up procrastinating in the time freed up by the time you could be spending revising on the subjects you've given up on. Regardless of whether you want to do sciences later on, good grades in GCSE science do look good and since you've already got an A in chemistry, I assume you're reasonably good at science and you shouldn't find physics or biology significantly harder. If I were you, I'd carry on trying. You'll be so proud of yourself when you finally get the results slip.

ReputationRep:
    Well, though deliberately failing the sciences probably won't have much of an effect in terms of applying to uni (though it may raise a few questions, especially as you have an A in chemistry so you evidently have an aptitude for science), I wouldn't advise doing it, simply because it's downright unnecessary.
    Firstly, at GCSE you have more than enough time to get good grades (the definition of which will vary from person to person) in all your subjects. And focusing on other subjects will only improve your grade up to a point, beyond which you'll hit a limit of your capabilities (or indeed 100% UMS), and it is very possible to reach that limit while revising for two more subjects.
    Secondly, a lot of people in my school tried your tactic with English Lit. They completely ignored the subject, citing your logic exactly. And it doesn't work. Their other grades didn't improve, and they just ended up with a low grade in English Lit. So not revising for them doesn't mean you'll get higher grades elsewhere.
    Also there's the fact that in a few years time - if not, on results day - you'll kick yourself, because you'll know you could have got two more As if you'd tried. Whenever I talk to someone who got a mediocre grade at GCSE because they didn't try, they always say they regret it. I can almost guarantee this will happen to you.
    Don't panic - though it might not feel like it, you have enough time to do well in your GCSE subjects and sciences, and you DON'T need to go and stop revising for subjects. By all means focus slightly more on subjects you're definitely taking to A-level, but don't essentially drop biology and physics. You can do it.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to focus more on other subjects that's fine but I think you should at least aim for a C in physics and biology as it least you actually get the GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aGrape)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's unlikely it would disadvantage you but to be honest it's pretty hard to fail any GCSE's, it could look quite bad if you do. Definitely nothing negative will come from doing well in them, I'd recommend you just work a bit harder and get a decent pass. It'll be good practice for the work ethic you need at A-level at least.

ReputationRep:
    Usually I'd say something like do what the hell you want and yolo

But since you don't even like science and still got an A in chem, I'd say TRY but don't over do it.

As you're not even going for it at A Lvls, than don't worry about getting A/A*s (unless you're applying for Grammar) for Physics and Biology. Dedicate yourself to the subjects you love; but at the same time don't forget about the other ones too.

As someone who doesn't like Physics personally, I still revised (not as much as other peers) and got an A* at then end of year 10; I am definitely not doing it as an A level but it still looks good for university etc.

And when you say FAIL as in a U that's just obvious; failing any subject, whether it links to future courses and whatnot, will make you look like dumb s**t. Try for a C/B as most colleges want at least a C in sciences; and if you have all your results at As/A* and then two sciences at U-D or something it'll look...well, wrong/

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.