Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Received one for English the other day Whilst I'm really happy about it, I'm wondering how rare/commendable it is, seeing as I haven't had any other offers yet (application sent out 26th Oct).

ReputationRep:
    Probably very low unless you have an outstanding gcse and AS level grades / predictions.

To be honest, it probably won't concern those type of people too much as I imagine they will be aiming for the higher unis like Oxbridge and UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i think you get unconditional offers if you already have your grades i.e. if you took a gap year and got the entry requirement grades, or if your just really awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Last year they gave out 1000 unconditionals, with a third of those eventually coming to Birmingham. So, that accounts for 333 of their undergraduate places.

Birmingham has 17000 undergraduates. Assuming that they're all on three year courses (they're not, but let's do this for the sake of argument) they need to recruit 5,666 undergraduates every year.

Take 333 that we accounted for above, and that leaves 5,333 spaces left to fill. Birmingham reckons they have a 25% conversion ratio on conditional offers, so they need to give out 21,332 offers to fill all their conditional spaces, plus the 1000 unconditionals.

So, last year there were around 22332 offers, of which 4.47% got an unconditional offer.

This year, they say they're going to do an unspecified "more".

So, not the norm but not unheard of either!

(Original numbers from http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...008212.article and number crunching by yours truly. I'm aware that there are some oversimplifications contained within this!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuyHurley)
    Received one for English the other day Whilst I'm really happy about it, I'm wondering how rare/commendable it is, seeing as I haven't had any other offers yet (application sent out 26th Oct).
    At most unis its almost unheard of for English students who haven't sat their A-Levels. However Birmingham have introduced it this year to encourage the brightest students who might otherwise make it their insurance to make it their firm. See the website for more details:
    http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergra...heme-2014.aspx

Leicester are the only other uni rumoured to do this, other unis will give conditional offers as standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Probably very low unless you have an outstanding gcse and AS level grades / predictions.

To be honest, it probably won't concern those type of people too much as I imagine they will be aiming for the higher unis like Oxbridge and UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats exactly who Birmingham are trying to target by the looks of things:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuyHurley)
    my girlfriend got one too

ReputationRep:
    Additionally, only certain courses bestow their applicants with unconditional offers.

For example, the Physics department do not hand out unconditional offers, but the Engineering department do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physics4ever)
    i think you get unconditional offers if you already have your grades i.e. if you took a gap year and got the entry requirement grades, or if your just really awesome!
    its a scheme run by Birmingham specificially

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Last year they gave out 1000 unconditionals, with a third of those eventually coming to Birmingham. So, that accounts for 333 of their undergraduate places.

Birmingham has 17000 undergraduates. Assuming that they're all on three year courses (they're not, but let's do this for the sake of argument) they need to recruit 5,666 undergraduates every year.

Take 333 that we accounted for above, and that leaves 5,333 spaces left to fill. Birmingham reckons they have a 25% conversion ratio on conditional offers, so they need to give out 21,332 offers to fill all their conditional spaces, plus the 1000 unconditionals.

So, last year there were around 22332 offers, of which 4.47% got an unconditional offer.

This year, they say they're going to do an unspecified "more".

So, not the norm but not unheard of either!

(Original numbers from http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...008212.article and number crunching by yours truly. I'm aware that there are some oversimplifications contained within this!)
    Yeah this.

I personally know/knew a lot of people who got unconditionals from Birmingham this and last year so it feels like they aren't so rare at all. However, they were/are all very clever and high-achieving (in terms of grades) individuals so overall I agree - not the norm but not unheard of. However, Birmingham is the one university that was giving out a large number of unconditional offers to those who had not finished their A levels, whereas other universities only offer unconditionals to students who have completed A2 level. So, in comparison to other universities at current, an unconditional from Birmingham pre-A2 level is more common as it is a publicised fact they are handing them out. Still, it should not deter from the fact that the statistics indicate only the brightest 4.47% are receiving these unconditionals, so well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Im curious whether other universities will try the same thing. I imagine these will be universities that Oxbridge students typically apply as their 4th/5th choice.

ReputationRep:
    Im curious whether other universities will try the same thing. I imagine these will be universities that Oxbridge students typically apply as their 4th/5th choice.
    Possibly, I think they will wait and see how well the Birmingham scheme goes though. Personally if I was an Oxbridge candidate and got an offer from Oxbridge/Durham/Bristol e.c.t if I liked one of those unis more then I wouldn't be swayed by an unconditional from Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly, I think they will wait and see how well the Birmingham scheme goes though. Personally if I was an Oxbridge candidate and got an offer from Oxbridge/Durham/Bristol e.c.t if I liked one of those unis more then I wouldn't be swayed by an unconditional from Birmingham.
    If you think that 20% is "par" for conversion rate (5 applications > 1 bum on seat) with some universities e.g. Oxford having far higher than that and plenty having far lower, 33% is a good performance from unconditional offers to Birmingham.

Leicester has joined them. I've seen one or two other universities this year mentioned by TSR members where it isn't clear if the unconditional offers are pre or post A level. If anyone knows of anywhere else giving out pre-A level unconditionals would you please post.

Finally, a question for those with knowledge of UCAS rules and procedures. The Birmingham scheme is clear that the "uncondiional" offer is conditional on a firm acceptance. http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergra...heme-2014.aspx Is that a breach of UCAS rules, has Birmingham had special dispensation or it is the case that all universities have always been able to ban insurance acceptances?

Will we see other universities making their offers conditional on say, AAA and a firm acceptance (why does a vision of a Romanesque cathedral and a castle on an escarpment over a northern river keep occurring to me?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    If you think that 20% is "par" for conversion rate (5 applications > 1 bum on seat) with some universities e.g. Oxford having far higher than that and plenty having far lower, 33% is a good performance from unconditional offers to Birmingham.

Leicester has joined them. I've seen one or two other universities this year mentioned by TSR members where it isn't clear if the unconditional offers are pre or post A level. If anyone knows of anywhere else giving out pre-A level unconditionals would you please post.

Finally, a question for those with knowledge of UCAS rules and procedures. The Birmingham scheme is clear that the "uncondiional" offer is conditional on a firm acceptance. http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergra...heme-2014.aspx Is that a breach of UCAS rules, has Birmingham had special dispensation or it is the case that all universities have always been able to ban insurance acceptances?

Will we see other universities making their offers conditional on say, AAA and a firm acceptance (why does a vision of a Romanesque cathedral and a castle on an escarpment over a northern river keep occurring to me?)
    Birmingham haven't banned insurance acceptances. You get a grades offer if its your insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham haven't banned insurance acceptances. You get a grades offer if its your insurance.
    You usual position is that you get an offer first. You then decide whether to accept it as your firm, your insurance or to reject it.

Clearly, Birmingham's intention if you accept the unconditional offer as your insurance on Track, is to withdraw that offer and make you a different conditional offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    You usual position is that you get an offer first. You then decide whether to accept it as your firm, your insurance or to reject it.

Clearly, Birmingham's intention if you accept the unconditional offer as your insurance on Track, is to withdraw that offer and make you a different conditional offer.
    Not exactly, applicants are given both offers at the same time. And its not the first time it's been done- plenty of unis do it on their access schemes for less well off applicants where they give the applicant two offers, one if they firm one if they put it as their insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly, applicants are given both offers at the same time. And its not the first time it's been done- plenty of unis do it on their access schemes for less well off applicants where they give the applicant two offers, one if they firm one if they put it as their insurance.
    Are you saying that you get two offers through the UCAS Track system or that the university gives two offers by email/post?

ReputationRep:
    I have two friends that have both been offered unconditionals at Birmingham even though we've just started year 13! One of them is to do English Literature and the other to do Biomedical Sciences

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many RG unis ask for AAA so if anything Birmingham is, in my eyes, trying to steal 'firms' from places like Nottingham or York, rather than trying to take 'firms' from UCL etc.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    I presume that they are only giving unconditionals to students predicted above ABB+ with a safety margin. Otherwise their SNC planning probably goes haywire. If you have to accept a student with an unconditional, but they get BBB and have to count against your SNC, then you've shot yourself in the foot.

I don't know, but I suspect the ABB+ population at Birmingham varies greatly by course, but is only about 40-50% of their undergrad intake?

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.