Financing PhD (for european foreigner) Watch

viriol
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm a Portuguese student thinking applying for a PhD in England for next year. I'd like to know if there is some kind of scholarship I may apply to in order to finance my studies...
moutonfou
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You would have to contact the department in question in the university you are applying to and ask. The funding varies so widely that even British students have difficulty identifying what scholarships there are and whether they are eligible to apply. If you contact the department they will be able to tell you which scholarships you would be eligible to apply for, what the deadlines are, and how these affect other stages of the application process i.e. how soon you will need to apply in order to hold an offer of a place by the scholarship application deadlines. Good luck!
gutenberg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Which field/subject are you in? This will influence the kinds of scholarships, and how much is available. Where are you thinking of applying?

EU students are eligible for schemes such as the UK's Research Councils, but note that under their residency rules as an EU student who (I presume?) hasn't been living in the UK for the past few years, you will be eligible for fees-only scholarships from them: they will not give you a stipend to live on. Various universities will also offer scholarships that you are eligible for too, but you'll need to check out the websites of the universities you are interested in; check also if these have residency criteria, as I've seen some that operate the same as the Research Council scheme, with fees-only awards for EU students or other restrictions.

Does Portugal offer any scholarships for students to study abroad? That could be another potential avenue to explore; I know my country does not, but I've heard of some people being paid for by their government or some academic/charitable organisation in their home country to study abroad.
viriol
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by gutenberg)
Which field/subject are you in? This will influence the kinds of scholarships, and how much is available. Where are you thinking of applying?

EU students are eligible for schemes such as the UK's Research Councils, but note that under their residency rules as an EU student who (I presume?) hasn't been living in the UK for the past few years, you will be eligible for fees-only scholarships from them: they will not give you a stipend to live on. Various universities will also offer scholarships that you are eligible for too, but you'll need to check out the websites of the universities you are interested in; check also if these have residency criteria, as I've seen some that operate the same as the Research Council scheme, with fees-only awards for EU students or other restrictions.

Does Portugal offer any scholarships for students to study abroad? That could be another potential avenue to explore; I know my country does not, but I've heard of some people being paid for by their government or some academic/charitable organisation in their home country to study abroad.
Thank you very much - I'll be sure to look up your suggestion! In case you know something specific, I'm in Physics and thinking of applying to the Imperial College of London, Cambridge, Nottingham and possibly Manchester.
gutenberg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Cavendish lab in Cambridge maintain a very good funding section on their website. It has links to all the major funding schemes, broken down by your fee status, which I presume would be EU. Just to note, it lists the Gates scholarships - these tend to have very early deadlines, so if you want to apply for one, better check it out fairly quickly!

I can't help with any of the other universities I'm afraid, but I imagine they have a similar page somewhere on their website, either in the physics department's own site, or the general Graduate Admissions pages.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
30.22%
The paper was reasonable (255)
40.35%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
17.25%
It was TERRIBLE (77)
12.18%

Watched Threads