What made Jack the Ripper so sucessful? Watch

Rational Thinker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Factors I can think of
1) Less forensic technology and techniques available.
2) Killed a relatively small number of people.
3) The people he killed (eg prostitutes) were looked down upon in society and so the pursuit of the Jack the Ripper may have been less fierce than had he been killing the "respectable".
4) (Conspiracy theory, which I personally am not convinced by) Jack the Ripper was a member of the Royal family and so had protection through this.
5) Government and Scotland Yard more concerned by the terrorism by the Fenians than Jack the Ripper.
6) Lack of reliable witness statements.
7) Luck?
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The fact that he rips you left, right and centre.
He such a joker :yep:
tonberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There were many other killers at the exact same time, also impersonators
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
His endearing personality.
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
The fact that he rips you left, right and centre.
He such a joker :yep:
Disturbing as it is. Jack the Ripper I would say would have been a good professional killer. The victims were found with their throats neatly slit, Ripper almost certainly chose victims he did not know. Possibly he was an ultimate opportunist taking advantage of the chaos of the time and realised that Whitechapel was pretty much condemned.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rational Thinker)
Factors I can think of
1) Less forensic technology and techniques available.
2) Killed a relatively small number of people.
3) The people he killed (eg prostitutes) were looked down upon in society and so the pursuit of the Jack the Ripper may have been less fierce than had he been killing the "respectable".
4) (Conspiracy theory, which I personally am not convinced by) Jack the Ripper was a member of the Royal family and so had protection through this.
5) Government and Scotland Yard more concerned by the terrorism by the Fenians than Jack the Ripper.
6) Lack of reliable witness statements.
7) Luck?
A combination of all of them. You may also wish to consider that his actions were over inflated by the media. After all, do you think people like Harold Shipman will be remembered in such a manner in a hundred years time
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
A combination of all of them. You may also wish to consider that his actions were over inflated by the media. After all, do you think people like Harold Shipman will be remembered in such a manner in a hundred years time
Good reply.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good reply.
Why thank you.

Jack the Ripper also coincided with a transition of increased, and better connected media. Penny newspapers were popular, the telegraph allowed for stories being transmitted nationally and globally.

i think they some now managed to tap into the populations psyche with it.
Caedus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Police incompetence (i.e. the removal of anti-semetic Goulston Street graffito). There was also a hell of a lot of misinformation spread by both the public & the media not to mention the almost impossibly long list of suspects from barristers to barbers. I should say that the case was a farce from beginning to end and one which the London Met would rather not be remembered for.
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caedus)
Police incompetence (i.e. the removal of anti-semetic Goulston Street graffito). There was also a hell of a lot of misinformation spread by both the public & the media not to mention the almost impossibly long list of suspects from barristers to barbers. I should say that the case was a farce from beginning to end and one which the London Met would rather not be remembered for.
Interesting. I think there are comparisons that can be drawn between the Jack the Ripper murderers, Hilsborough and the Stephen Lawrence case, in all cases the police delibrately subverted the legal system and protected themselves even when this led to innocent deaths.
romaleos2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did my History GCSE Coursework on this! I'll go dig out whatever I can of it later hehe
It's a really interesting subject, so glad someone's made a thread on this :laugh:
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't see how the lack of people he killed makes him a successful killer
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Actually, I think Harold shipman will probably be remembered in 100 years times because of the huge number of people he murdered
Caedus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Interesting. I think there are comparisons that can be drawn between the Jack the Ripper murderers, Hilsborough and the Stephen Lawrence case, in all cases the police delibrately subverted the legal system and protected themselves even when this led to innocent deaths.
Precisely. I think the attitude from the masses at the time was that the police were incompetent and only useful for such things as crowd control, which is why ad-hoc organisations such as the Whitechapel Vigilence Committee were set up in the first place.

But yes, I do think the factors you presented are the chief factors which resulted in JTR's success.
ssingh9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The fact that Sherlock Holmes was fictional.
RoseBrilliante
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ssingh9)
The fact that Sherlock Holmes was fictional.
The fact that Dexter was not real too.
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He had talent and practice.
chocolatesauce
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He was elusive and very tricky to catch if his victims could still live or talk they would've been able to describe what he looked like.

Although there were people who were thought to be him.
Jjj90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DorianGrayism)
Actually, I think Harold shipman will probably be remembered in 100 years times because of the huge number of people he murdered
I doubt it. No-one remember Mary Ann Cotton, only local people. Jack the Ripper is an enigma, a mystery, his name will live on forever.
Fashion Girl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The media sensationalised aspects of the story and would even send hoax letters to Scotland Yard stating that it was from Jack the Ripper himself. Maybe all the media attention fed into his soul ? No one knew what he looked like or had an inkling about his physical appearance in anyway so I'm guessing it gave him the space and the freedom to move around relatively easily as well, and it makes you think why the media chose to sensationalise the fact that no one really knows what he looks like rather than just trying to pitch in and help identify him, you know aid the work of Scotland Yard?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (222)
22.75%
The paper was reasonable (440)
45.08%
Not feeling great about that exam... (176)
18.03%
It was TERRIBLE (138)
14.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed