where to buy white gold necklace? Watch

silvershimmer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'd like to get a white gold chain necklace - for the best value money, obviously. where do I go? (not sure I'd like to do it online) many thanks!
BeautifullyTragic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Argos?
Octopus_Garden
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
H. Samuel, Argos, any high street jeweller. Argos will probably be cheaper.

:lol: at necklace and best value in the same sentence, though. Jewellery's value doesn't work out in the same way as that of products for which people normally search out "best value". Jewellery has very little practical use, so after the raw costs of mining and manufacture, you are paying for "style" and brand. The attractiveness of jewellery has nothing to do with the price, either. I've seen ugly £2000 rings.
silvershimmer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Octopus_Garden)
H. Samuel, Argos, any high street jeweller. Argos will probably be cheaper.

:lol: at necklace and best value in the same sentence, though. Jewellery's value doesn't work out in the same way as that of products for which people normally search out "best value". Jewellery has very little practical use, so after the raw costs of mining and manufacture, you are paying for "style" and brand. The attractiveness of jewellery has nothing to do with the price, either. I've seen ugly £2000 rings.

thank you. you're right, I have no experience at all!
it's more that I want something pretty but also a necklace chain that won't snap after two wears! that is why I wanted to see it with my own eyes. but you think the Argos necklace will be just the same quality? does brand not determine quality?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If online is ok, (you haven't actually said whether it is or not) try qvc.co.uk. I've had jewelery from them and have had no problem.
Octopus_Garden
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by silvershimmer)

thank you. you're right, I have no experience at all!
it's more that I want something pretty but also a necklace chain that won't snap after two wears! that is why I wanted to see it with my own eyes. but you think the Argos necklace will be just the same quality? does brand not determine quality?
Not really no, it's not very like cookers, or cars. There's a little interaction between brand and quality on things like the stone setting on a ring, and whether it could fall out(!), but you're not buying a ring, just a simple chain.

Head up here though. White gold items are not purely made of gold. The silvery look is produced by mixing gold with a pale metal (nickel or palladium) which is then generally covered over with rhodium plating.

You will be better off assessing the thickness of each chain for yourself, rather than looking at the brand. Do you have a particular pendant you want to put on it?
silvershimmer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Octopus_Garden)
Not really no, it's not very like cookers, or cars. There's a little interaction between brand and quality on things like the stone setting on a ring, and whether it could fall out(!), but you're not buying a ring, just a simple chain.

Head up here though. White gold items are not purely made of gold. The silvery look is produced by mixing gold with a pale metal (nickel or palladium) which is then generally covered over with rhodium plating.

You will be better off assessing the thickness of each chain for yourself, rather than looking at the brand. Do you have a particular pendant you want to put on it?
I know what white gold is , I don't want normal gold and if I had the money I'd go for platinum... I have several pendants that just need a nice chain, their original chains were merely silver plated so it is all a bit faded and grubby now, a beautiful proper chain made of white gold would last longer and would serve me well as I could wear it with any of my pendants, which are mostly from ebay (but don't look it, for now, may do so in a year or two's time, depending on frequency of wear). I've found many many beautiful necklaces on ebay and they dont at all look cheap, but of course the problem is that they will look cheap after a dozen wears, they really dont last, esp the chain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (198)
29.91%
The paper was reasonable (271)
40.94%
Not feeling great about that exam... (112)
16.92%
It was TERRIBLE (81)
12.24%

Watched Threads