Extreme breathlessness, coughing and 'whistling' noise on exertion Watch

oohlaalaa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
As the title says, when I physically exert myself, i.e. go for a run, do high intensity workouts, I get extremely breathless, a lot more so than everybody else, and it's noticable, and the session tends to end with me doubled up, coughing with my chest making a sort of 'whistly' noise, which I wouldn't describe as wheezing (tbh, I'm not 100% sure what exactly wheezing sounds like!).
I also seem to get a little 'chesty' at this point, i.e runny nose and phlegm...I don't know, the chest just feels really tight and each breath is a real struggle, I really have to drag it out, and feel like just collapsing.

As much as I don't claim to be the fittest person in the world, I wouldn't say I'm unfit as I am generally active, I go for walks a lot, although uphill can be a struggle sometimes and have a similar effect. It also happens (although not as badly) if I'm emotional or laughing quite a bit. It's a bit hit and miss really, sometimes I'm fine, others I'm not.

My job is also physical, I have to stand, walk about and lift and carry things for around 90% (Catering - a lot of time going between hot kitchens, freezing chillers and office - very random!) of the day so I do get a good workout at work!

I went to the doctor who did a peak flow and checked blood pressure, and it was all right. However, I felt rushed as she only had a few minutes, and I felt I couldn't explain myself to her properly. I don't feel a peak flow thing would be much use on a normal day when I feel fine, surely it wouldn't show anything 'odd' unless I'd exerted myself first?
Mushi_master
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by oohlaalaa)
As the title says, when I physically exert myself, i.e. go for a run, do high intensity workouts, I get extremely breathless, a lot more so than everybody else, and it's noticable, and the session tends to end with me doubled up, coughing with my chest making a sort of 'whistly' noise, which I wouldn't describe as wheezing (tbh, I'm not 100% sure what exactly wheezing sounds like!).
I also seem to get a little 'chesty' at this point, i.e runny nose and phlegm...I don't know, the chest just feels really tight and each breath is a real struggle, I really have to drag it out, and feel like just collapsing.

As much as I don't claim to be the fittest person in the world, I wouldn't say I'm unfit as I am generally active, I go for walks a lot, although uphill can be a struggle sometimes and have a similar effect. It also happens (although not as badly) if I'm emotional or laughing quite a bit. It's a bit hit and miss really, sometimes I'm fine, others I'm not.

My job is also physical, I have to stand, walk about and lift and carry things for around 90% (Catering - a lot of time going between hot kitchens, freezing chillers and office - very random!) of the day so I do get a good workout at work!

I went to the doctor who did a peak flow and checked blood pressure, and it was all right. However, I felt rushed as she only had a few minutes, and I felt I couldn't explain myself to her properly. I don't feel a peak flow thing would be much use on a normal day when I feel fine, surely it wouldn't show anything 'odd' unless I'd exerted myself first?
You're right in that a peak flow wouldn't show much if anything when you're feeling fine. Just go back and get another appointment, and discuss this again, including what triggers bring this on for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
oohlaalaa
Rep:
?
Yeah I'll have to do that. Chances are I'll get a different doctor though as it's rare to see the same person, unless you specifically ask, in which case the wait could be weeks .
Anonymous #1
Report 5 years ago
Not a medic, but this sounds like excercise induced asthma to me.
I have the same symptoms with excercise, with mild exertion in cold weather and when having a good laugh.
Look it up, go back to the GP explaining your symptoms more clearly.
Make a suggestion, "do you think this could be asthma?"
It might be worth trying excercise after using an inhaler and seeing if it changes anything (with GP approval).
oohlaalaa
Rep:
?
Hi, thanks, never heard/thought of that. Will mention it. If I can't get an appointment soon, can walk in centre's deal with this kind of thing? Went for a brisk walk today, for the exercise, and quite typical of my luck, it started to rain! Was alright for most of it until towards the end when i did start getting breathless. Was a few hours ago now and the chesty/coughy/mucusy feel has lingered on even until now, even though not much. Perhaps I'm just worrying about nothing.
oohlaalaa
Rep:
?
Well, the other day I woke up feeling ill, as I had a cold with the usual symptoms cough, runny nose etc, and tried to just get on with it as you do, but later went on to have a really bad cough where I could cough out but couldn't draw any full breaths in and REALLY tight chest, just couldn't breathe. I went into a right panic! Apparently I had an asthma attack. Went to doctors and was seen immediately and got sent straight to hospital from there where I was given nebuliser stuff 'salbutamol' I think?. Now I'm on inhalers brown one to use twice a day and ventolin blue if I get any symptoms/breathlessness etc, plus antibiotics. I'd had no physical exertion or anything so I'm glad I know now that it's not simply a matter of me just being unfit! If that's an asthma attack I don't want to experience it again. Hopefully it's just 'cos I have a cold or something.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (222)
22.72%
The paper was reasonable (441)
45.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (176)
18.01%
It was TERRIBLE (138)
14.12%

Watched Threads