Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Computing are good a-levels to take with the ambition to apply to medicine in the next few years. I know they all seem to be science / maths based and I plan to take GCSE Latin to broaden my offer; should this be okay?

Thanks,
    Alec

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is a must. Biology and Maths are good ones as well. Computing is viewed as a bit soft but I think is fine as a 4th. The important thing is to be confident in getting good grades in them, i.e. As. Other than that they seem a good pick just make sure you buff up the PS with volunteering and work experience.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Yep sound good. If you're going to drop one after AS, it would have to be Computing. I don't know much about it, but I've never heard it being considered as a strong and/or academic subject, which is what the world of Medicine is about. I'm sure it'd be okay as you have the main 2 (Chem and Bio) and a third academic subject, just be aware that that should be the one to drop if you do drop one after AS.

ReputationRep:
    The posters above have said it all really, although I don't think the GCSE Latin will help that much. Could be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry and Biology you definitely have to do.
    Also, Universities find Maths/Further Maths quite good too.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeekyAlec)
    Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Computing are good a-levels to take with the ambition to apply to medicine in the next few years. I know they all seem to be science / maths based and I plan to take GCSE Latin to broaden my offer; should this be okay?

Thanks,
    Alec
    hell yeah! Chemistry is a must and with biology and maths it is an either or choice, computing to be honest is regarded as a pretty easy a level but I suppose that let's you focus on the ones for med. contrary to what another person said, Latin would fair you well with the names of medicines and drugs but it's not essential, only helpful

ReputationRep:
    Is it ok to do Biology, Chemistry, Geology and Religious Studies?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Thanks,
    Alec
    I want to do medicine as well. My choices are: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Religious Studies. RS shows you have good critical, evaluative and analytical thinking, as well as containing a section on Medical Ethics which is always useful, especially for the interview. Chemistry is a must, an let's face it, so if Biology. Maths certainly is NOT a requirement, but it is certainly impressive and shows you are an able, logical individual.

ReputationRep:
    Maths Biology Chemistry are 3 you kinda should get under your belt, it's not mandatory but very opening

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Thanks,
    Alec
    Contrary to what people say, I would consider taking physics instead of computing. And it's also not a good idea to take further maths (unless its a 5th choice).

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Thanks,
    Alec
    I'd definitely do Chemistry and Biology, the computing and maths sounds good, though it might be worth choosing one of them (perhaps find out which one will be more respected by most medical schools) and then chose a contrasting subject such as an Arts or Humanity as this is often helpful (after all... medicine is all about humans and is often regarded as an art as well as a science).

EDIT: ... forgot to mention about your GCSE Latin... I see very little point in doing so.. unless perhaps if you will definitely get an A* and will have finished before your application? ... even so makes much more sense to just focus on your a-levels!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Chemistry is the only subject that all the Universities absolutely require, but you should definitely take Maths and Biology in addition as an absolute minimum. With Chemistry, Biology and Maths you can choose pretty much whatever you want as a fourth.

I plan to take GCSE Latin to broaden my offer; should this be okay?
    Seriously, don't do this. It will add hardly anything to your application and it will take time away from your AS Subjects which is what you need to focus on now. Unless you got poor grades at GCSE (in which case you should seriously consider changing your career choice), forget your GCSEs and focus on your A levels.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by snoreeen)
    Chemistry and Biology you definitely have to do.
    Also, Universities find Maths/Further Maths quite good too.
    Good luck.
    For medicine, further maths may not be the best idea (unless it's taken as a fifth) as not many accept maths and further maths as separate subjects. :no:

(Original post by Chlorophile)
    you should definitely take Maths and Biology in addition as an absolute minimum.
    Nah, maths isn't needed at all. :nah:

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.