Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm (hopefully) going to Sheffield to study History in sept 2014, and am already worrying about housemates!

I am the definition of an introvert. I like books, tea, my own company, working and a good tv series. I don't drink, smoke or go out clubbing, nor do I ever want to for that matter.
    I like my own space, and everything HAS to be clean!

Is it possible to request to be put with others who are shy too?

I want to live in halls for my first year, but the thought of loud, drunk and vomiting housemates is disgusting!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah120995)
    I'm (hopefully) going to Sheffield to study History in sept 2014, and am already worrying about housemates!

I am the definition of an introvert. I like books, tea, my own company, working and a good tv series. I don't drink, smoke or go out clubbing, nor do I ever want to for that matter.

I want to live in halls for my first year, but the thought of loud, drunk and vomiting housemates is disgusting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not sure if I'm gonna go to Sheffield, it's quite a likely insurance for me... But you honestly sound like a perfect roommate! Apart from an occasional tipple we're pretty damn similar

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some universities give you the chance to choose quiet halls but no guarentee you'll get one. Others mix everyone together as they don't want to give people false hope. Afraid though no guarentee halls would be clean unless you got a studio flat. 99% of student kitchens are messy and no point working yourself up about it.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh, you sound like you would be better living in a studio/one bedroom flat if you can afford it.

Some halls will let you request quiet housemates, but this doesn't mean they will be clean or nice to live with and it's not guarenteed. Also, it doesn't mean these people will never go out or get drunk. Halls are not for everyone, and it sounds like if you moved into them you'd probably end up being miserable.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely looking into a studio now, thanks guys!

A studio is only £36 a week more than an en suite, so worth it for me!

Does anyone know who they give a priority to for studio rooms? I'm just worried I won't get one. I have anxiety and panic attacks, would that give me a priority?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely looking into a studio now, thanks guys!

A studio is only £36 a week more than an en suite, so worth it for me!

Does anyone know who they give a priority to for studio rooms? I'm just worried I won't get one. I have anxiety and panic attacks, would that give me a priority?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you have medical reasons why you need a particular type of room then providing you can provide medical evidence the uni will do their best to accommodate you. Also it might be worth looking into DSA and emailing the uni disability services to see what support you can get especially if your anxiety gets worse on being in a totally new environment.

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't thought of emailing the disability services of the uni, might give it a go as my anxiety can get really bad some days.

Thanks for all the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can't comment on Sheffield, but when I was applying for accommodation at a different university, I requested a 'quiet' hall, and was fortunate enough to be put in the designated quiet hall.
    And found it insufferably loud, as even there people were up shouting in the corridors et c. till 3am some Friday and Saturday nights.
    I don't know your definition of 'quiet', but I know that many people's is not the same as mine!

ReputationRep:
    I've been at Sheffield for the past year and a half, my advice is to try and apply for accomodation at Ranmoor rather than Endcliffe. I regret applying for Endcliffe as it was very 'in your face' with the whole student culture thing, but I heard good things from people who lived in Ranmoor.

ReputationRep:
    hmm its tricky.. I am always very shy in halls, but the best halls I have had were with loud/extroverted, but understanding people..

I guess you just have to be lucky, but a room full of introverts only, sounds like it could get pretty lonely.. Whereas a nice mix of some quiet, and some loud - but all understanding.. is often the best

If you can afford studio flats, then great, go for it - saves the hassle of relying on the luck of being drawn with good/understanding people..

though 'only £34 above ensuite... thats more then my weekly food budget, let alone if I were in ensuite halls (i am currently in standard..)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I am fortunate enough to have financial backing from my parents when I go to Uni, so the extra £30odd a week isn't too much of a problem, especially considering I will be saving money not drinking or smoking.

Decided on a studio and have emailed the disability service to see whether having anxiety would secure me studio accommodation under mental health circumstances.
    Fingers crossed I will have my own studio this time next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I am fortunate enough to have financial backing from my parents when I go to Uni, so the extra £30odd a week isn't too much of a problem, especially considering I will be saving money not drinking or smoking.

Decided on a studio and have emailed the disability service to see whether having anxiety would secure me studio accommodation under mental health circumstances.
    Fingers crossed I will have my own studio this time next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the disability service should have no problem, presuming you have medical evidence (diagnoisis, note from doctor etc..) - as they cant just act on your word.. but presuming this, they should be able to sort everything out for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RunningScotsman)
    I've been at Sheffield for the past year and a half, my advice is to try and apply for accomodation at Ranmoor rather than Endcliffe. I regret applying for Endcliffe as it was very 'in your face' with the whole student culture thing, but I heard good things from people who lived in Ranmoor.
    My son, now in his first year, is in halls at Ranmoor. He too isn't a party animal but he got very lucky with his flatmates who are a diverse bunch but at least have respect for each other's space and luckily get along well. From what I've heard although you do get the occasional party at Ranmoor it's much quieter and I think it's also where students with families and couples live.

ReputationRep:
    You should probably get out more, even if you are introverted? Uni offers a great opportunity to work on your social skills - don't waste it

ReputationRep:
    What about when one of you experiences the radical personality changes that can come with university?

ReputationRep:
    I actually have a place at Sheffield next year, and I sound pretty similar to you. Don't drink, don't go clubbing, like spending nights in. I wouldn't want to live by myself though as I would get lonely, I just want to be in a flat with people like me. Unfortunately I can't really afford anything more than shared bathroom self catered flats.
    But it's nice to know there could be some freshers next year who don't like clubbing etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnicornUmbrella)
    I actually have a place at Sheffield next year, and I sound pretty similar to you. Don't drink, don't go clubbing, like spending nights in. I wouldn't want to live by myself though as I would get lonely, I just want to be in a flat with people like me. Unfortunately I can't really afford anything more than shared bathroom self catered flats.
    But it's nice to know there could be some freshers next year who don't like clubbing etc!
    There definitley will be, its just if you end up with a flat full of clubbers you could have to search harder than most. My tips though are join societies which aren't likely to involve drinking meet ups and maybe during freshers if everyone in your flat is out post on fb to see who else hasn't gone out that night or go to non drinking events e.g. quizzes and ask people there what they like doing. Chances are you can find people who don't like clubbing to bond with if you get out there and find them.

ReputationRep:
    I used to think I was the only one who don't like clubbing

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 27, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.