Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering why because right now I'm predicted ABB which my teachers have said they're happy to raise to AAB, but wouldn't that just raise the grade requirements of my offer and make it harder for me to be accepted into that particular university? Obviously there's some reason behind the prediction thing but I'd like to understand so I know whether I should ask if my predictions can be increased.

ReputationRep:
    universities look at predicted grades. higher the better

ReputationRep:
    People ask for them to be increased because a university might not offer them a place based on a prediction of ABB but may on the basis of an AAB. They are able to apply to university that have higher entry requirements with a higher prediction.

ReputationRep:
    It's so that they can increase their chances of receiving an offer. If the standard offer for a course is AAB then they'll typically make offers to those whom they believe are likely to get those grades. If you're predicted lower then they don't just make you a lower offer... It's more likely that you just won't be accepted at all

ReputationRep:
    ah I see so like if you're predicted very low for example, then there's a chance they won't even consider you for an offer and if you're predicted something good, they will. I best get my teachers to change my predicted grades ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    Universities have a standard offer

if the standard offer is A*AA and you are predicted A*A*A then you will still receive the standard offer, it's always better to be predicted higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egghead123)
    Universities have a standard offer

if the standard offer is A*AA and you are predicted A*A*A then you will still receive the standard offer, it's always better to be predicted higher.
    Not always. A lot of universities have a range that they offer within. A couple of years ago two friends applied for the same course at Hull. Both of them were given an offer that was one grade above their predicted. One was asked for AAB and the other for CCC.

ReputationRep:
    There are some universities that will provide a range of offers. Exeter Economics, for instance, ranges from AAB-A*AA! Overall, though, it's best to ask for the highest predicted grades your teachers will be happy giving you. As long as they are justifiable with GCSEs and AS grades, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    May I just add the obvious point, that you have to deliver those grades on results day!

A university may let you in if you miss your offer, but that is by no means guaranteed and will depend on the numbers who meet their offer.

If you arm-twist your school into raising your offer, and then do not meet it, you may well find yourself in clearing and reading Pointless Studies at the University of Back-End-of-Nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Duck)
    Not always. A lot of universities have a range that they offer within. A couple of years ago two friends applied for the same course at Hull. Both of them were given an offer that was one grade above their predicted. One was asked for AAB and the other for CCC.

(Original post by Pro Crastination)
    There are some universities that will provide a range of offers. Exeter Economics, for instance, ranges from AAB-A*AA! Overall, though, it's best to ask for the highest predicted grades your teachers will be happy giving you. As long as they are justifiable with GCSEs and AS grades, you'll be fine.
    The offer you get is not determined by your predicted grades. When universities express an offer as a range, the lower offers will be reserved for contextual offers for students from disadvataged backgrounds, or those with extenuating circumstanges.

ReputationRep:
    I asked to be predicted higher as I was thinking of applying for a course with A*AA offer and I got 90.5% in one AS and 88% in another (AAA prediction), managed to get one of them upped to an A* prediction which meant I had the predictions of the standard offer. In the end, not so sure about applying there with my remaining choice, but we'll see!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.