Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Asking on behalf of my brother who is at Derby uni in his first year.

He is looking to move into (rent) a house with his friends from first year so far and he's been told by some people on his course that its already well into the season for looking at houses. At nottingham uni I'm sure it didn't start until late January, but I'm not sure if its different at Derby.

He should be finding this information himself but any tips on timescales and when he should be looking (if not already) would be appreciated.

Also, any landlords or agencies that should be avoided, any areas to favour or avoid or other general advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    Hi,

He is looking to move into (rent) a house with his friends from first year so far and he's been told by some people on his course that its already well into the season for looking at houses. At nottingham uni I'm sure it didn't start until late January, but I'm not sure if its different at Derby.

He should be finding this information himself but any tips on timescales and when he should be looking (if not already) would be appreciated.

Also, any landlords or agencies that should be avoided, any areas to favour or avoid or other general advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Chris
    Hi Chris,

It is time to look at houses at Derby. It's kind of a weird set up here, houses are either on with private letting agents or uni accredited. Where as the uni accredited have a housing fair in January, private lettings release their houses in October. So first of all you need to decide whether you want to go though a letting agent or through a private landlord which has been accredited by the University. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. You are taking a risk if you wait till January but i know of some really nice uni accredited homes and you also get to know the landlord and problems usually are sorted very quickly. With private letting you unlikely to ever see your landlord and any problem has been go through your letting agent which can be difficult sometimes, but private lettings have a much bigger list of houses so chances are there is something for you.

In terms of area, depends on what your looking for. There are quite a few homes near to Uni (around the Sainsburys on Kedleston Road) they are usually smaller houses for 3/4/5 people. The other area in on Uttoxeter new road, here the houses are usually bigger for 5+ you can get some real nice houses around here but the area isn't so great.

In terms of Lettings agent, there is only a few with Nicholas Humphrey being by far the biggest. Other include Blue i and PPL. They are all the same, very good at taking your money and useless at everything else. You just have to be strong with these people because they will take you for a ride if you don't, if you have a problem.

Hope this helps, any further questions let me know
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    Hi,

Thanks,

Chris
    Hi Chris,

The university's housing fair isn't until the new year. The housing fair has loads of student accommodation that have been accredited by the university. I live in an accredited house and have found that the quality and price is really good. I would recommend that your brother speaks to the people that he wants to move in with before the fair to determine things like area, price, bills included or excluded etc. So that they can be ready to pounce! Also, get them to save up now so that they can pay their deposits/summer retainers soon after the fair, as most landlords won't keep properties unless they have some kind of payment.

I hope this helps,

Stacey

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.