Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of civil union?
    To me it all looks rather fishy. Let me explain why.
    Let’s talk about people in this civil union situation.The man will almost never call his partner a wife; in front of his friends heis more likely to refer to her as his girlfriend. Anything, but a wife. But a woman will stubbornly continue to refer to him as her husband, as if from saying the word ‘’husband’’ a ring suddenly will appear on her finger.
    Name:  OnionRing.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  12.3 KB

If the man is really in love with a woman, he would have no hardships in marrying her. However, men who call women into civil unions often think of them as 'Plan Bs'. The man will find any excuse to convince the woman that the legal marriage is not the best option, whether in truth the men see their partners as just safe options with whom they can have fun, great sex life,who will cook for them and clean their house for them. Those men will say they do not believe in the legal marriages and they just say that because they think they can get someone better. It’s typical nerds who think they would land with a substitute who would look like Angelina Jolie.
    The women persist – they are ready to do anything, give birth etc just in hope their partner will ask them into the legal marriage. However, men can see that those women are doing all that stuff anyways without being in an official marriage and think to themselves ‘’Well, if she is doing it already,why would I ask her into marriage?’’. The women keep daydreaming that one day they will be able to go round to see their friends and introduce their partners as their husbands finally, but that dream doesn't seem to be coming any time soon.
    Some women realise how humiliating the situation they got themselves into is but despite that say they are happy being in a civil union, because they want to feel free of shame: they say things like ‘’Oh,but we have a child together – who cares about official marriage, when all you need are parents?’’. The irony is, the women that say that are the ones who care. Many of those women are secretly hiding the desire to jump into marriage – any marriage. And sometimes the cases turn out so that finally their partners invite them to marriage. Those women instantly agree and cling onto their future husbands, despite saying before they were happy being in a civil union.
    The reason why some men finally wake up and call their partners to be their wives is because they get old and become wiser and realise that they won’t be able to get big-breasted (not anymore though) Angelina Jolie,and feel forced to swallow their egos and ask someone into marriage.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym1HWuHJQTE

To summarise to me being in a civil union is like me renting a house because I need a place to live, but I am not buying the house because I think I could find a better one. Buying a less than average house would create many problems, e.g. it would be hard to sell the house afterwards. These is what many men do – they do not officially marry their partners, because they don’t really love them and they think they can find much better substitutes, but for the time being it’s quite convenient for them to be in a civil union just to have someone by their side doing their laundry and making their sandwiches.
    Constructive opinions are welcome - don't be shy.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't 'civil marriage' essentially a 'normal' marriage with the word 'civil' unnecessarily placed in front of it? Or otherwise just a non-religious marriage? I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

ReputationRep:
    Marriage is pointless in general unless you're religious. The only reason I'd force myself through it is if I loved a woman enough to go through all of it. All women seem to want to get married so I don't really have a choice.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Moved to society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by russellsteapot)
    Isn't 'civil marriage' essentially a 'normal' marriage with the word 'civil' unnecessarily placed in front of it? Or otherwise just a non-religious marriage? I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.
    I am pretty sure it's called civil and nope it's not the same as the official marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Moved to society
    Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoftPunch)
    I am pretty sure it's called civil and nope it's not the same as the official marriage
    A civil marriage is a marriage performed by a someone other than a religious representative. Like a registry office wedding, for example. It's as official as the religious kind.

Unless this is another religion thread, in which case I'm out because my face can't take another religion thread this week.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    SoftPunch, you just wrote an essay on something most people really couldn't give a **** about. This is indeed a humiliating situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    SoftPunch, you just wrote an essay on something most people really couldn't give a **** about. This is indeed a humiliating situation
    Just shows most ppl are crybabies that can't read more than a few lines on any other topic rather than sex. Indeed humilating, but not for me.

ReputationRep:
    A civil marriage is a marriage performed by a someone other than a religious representative. Like a registry office wedding, for example. It's as official as the religious kind.

Unless this is another religion thread, in which case I'm out because my face can't take another religion thread this week.
    Nope, religious marriages are recognised by the state and are licensed. Civil, on the other hand, are not sanctioned under religious law.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just shows most ppl are crybabies that can't read more than a few lines on any other topic rather than sex. Indeed humilating, but not for me.
    It's okay, I still love you

ReputationRep:
    I think what the OP meant to refer to is a Common Law Marriage. One where the partners have resided together for a suitable amount of time for the state to officially recognize both has having the legal rights of a traditionally married couple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    It's okay, I still love you
    My life is now complete :love:

ReputationRep:
    Nope, religious marriages are recognised by the state and are licensed. Civil, on the other hand, are not sanctioned under religious law.
    Well, no, but that's sort of the point. 'Religious law' is irrelevant if you're not religious. Civil marriage is licensed and recognised by the relevant law (i.e. the actual law of the country, at least in the UK).

Upon trying to make sense of your first post, I was half sure you actually mean cohabiting rather than civil marriage. But now you seem to be going down the odd religious route.

So, is your argument that being in a registry office marriage is somehow a 'humiliating situation' in which people aren't properly married and women are treated badly? If so, it's probably too much of an absurd argument to reply to.

If you're arguing against cohabitation, on the other hand, you should probably make it clear in the OP.

ReputationRep:
    Well, no, but that's sort of the point. 'Religious law' is irrelevant if you're not religious. Civil marriage is licensed and recognised by the relevant law (i.e. the actual law of the country, at least in the UK).

Upon trying to make sense of your first post, I was half sure you actually mean cohabiting rather than civil marriage. But now you seem to be going down the odd religious route.

So, is your argument that being in a registry office marriage is somehow a 'humiliating situation' in which people aren't properly married and women are treated badly? If so, it's probably too much of an absurd argument to reply to.

If you're arguing against cohabitation, on the other hand, you should probably make it clear in the OP.
    You have not read my OP properly - I was not only referring to women being treated badly. As I said they put themselves into that situation where they are not in official marriage with the stamps and all. I am slightly confused now whether I should change civil marriage to common law marriage, but as I said gay couples from 2006 were allowed to be in civil marriages, which are not the official marriages, you'd agree...
    Yes, my point is whatever that type of marriage is called it's humilating to be if it is not official.

ReputationRep:
    You have not read my OP properly - I was not only referring to women being treated badly.
    You implied they were essentially being used as vehicles for men to be with until they find something better. It seems to equate to fairly poor treatment/disadvantage coming from it. I think half the issue with not being able to read the OP is that it doesn't make a great deal of sense as it stands (I was too busy trying to work out why civil marriage was so bad, when it turns out you didn't mean civil marriage).

As I said they put themselves into that situation where they are not in official marriage with the stamps and all. I am slightly confused now whether I should change civil marriage to common law marriage,
    I'd change it to common law marriage or cohabiting. 'Cohabiting' is probably the best bet. We don't really have common law marriage in the UK as a legal term, and people don't tend to use it to describe unmarried couples. Anything but 'civil marriage', really, because civil marriage is 'proper marriage' by anyone's standards.

but as I said gay couples from 2006 were allowed to be in civil marriages, which are not the official marriages, you'd agree...
    No, I wouldn't. I view it as equal to a heterosexual marriage.

Yes, my point is whatever that type of marriage is called it's humilating to be if it is not official.
    I think it's fine myself. I'd prefer it to be honest, I'm quite against the idea of marriage and my girlfriend is as well. I imagine most cohabiting couples have the same kind of feelings. Marriage involves signing a book and spending money, and marriage can be ended in a 30-minute divorce. It doesn't strike me as particularly special.

ReputationRep:
    You implied they were essentially being used as vehicles for men to be with until they find something better. It seems to equate to fairly poor treatment/disadvantage coming from it. I think half the issue with not being able to read the OP is that it doesn't make a great deal of sense as it stands (I was too busy trying to work out why civil marriage was so bad, when it turns out you didn't mean civil marriage).

I'd change it to common law marriage or cohabiting. 'Cohabiting' is probably the best bet. We don't really have common law marriage in the UK as a legal term, and people don't tend to use it to describe unmarried couples. Anything but 'civil marriage', really, because civil marriage is 'proper marriage' by anyone's standards.

No, I wouldn't. I view it as equal to a heterosexual marriage.

I think it's fine myself. I'd prefer it to be honest, I'm quite against the idea of marriage and my girlfriend is as well. I imagine most cohabiting couples have the same kind of feelings. Marriage involves signing a book and spending money, and marriage can be ended in a 30-minute divorce. It doesn't strike me as particularly special.
    I already changed it to the civil union. Civil union is what I meant and it is not the same as legal marriage. I'd just stick to those terms - they are more universal imo. But interesting to know your view on this subject.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. If you mean when people have a civil ceremony in a registry office instead of a big white wedding in a church, both are exactly the same. A civil ceremony is marriage, just without any focus on religion like a church wedding.

Both are the same, they are about making a promise to a person you love that you will love and care for them for the rest of your lives. I see a lot of negativity about weddings these days, with people saying they are stupid and pointless. It's about publicly making a promise, not just to your spouse but also to your families and friends. A wedding is just a big party where two people who love each other promise to love each other no matter what until they die. What could be happier than that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llamasareright)
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. If you mean when people have a civil ceremony in a registry office instead of a big white wedding in a church, both are exactly the same. A civil ceremony is marriage, just without any focus on religion like a church wedding.

Both are the same, they are about making a promise to a person you love that you will love and care for them for the rest of your lives. I see a lot of negativity about weddings these days, with people saying they are stupid and pointless. It's about publicly making a promise, not just to your spouse but also to your families and friends. A wedding is just a big party where two people who love each other promise to love each other no matter what until they die. What could be happier than that?
    I am not sure if you were late to see the changes, but I made the changes to my OP. I am talking about civil union and the official legal marriage

ReputationRep:
    men are pigs, women are wonderful. sun rises in the east, pope is catholic, bear ****s in the woods . how is this news/relevant, op ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.