Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    who else is enrolling or studies the course?

ReputationRep:
    I currently study this Started 2013.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Amethyst ,could you please tell me what do you think about this studying course? I am thinking about enrolling this year...Coventry or South Wales...any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, and what do you think about that course? im thinking about studying it at Coventry Uni

ReputationRep:
    I'm enjoying it so far I don't think there's a module guide on the website, so as you know what to expect, here you go:

Year long modules: Molecular Basis of Life & Bioscience Skills
    Semester 1 mod: Molecular Chemistry & Plants and the Environment
    Semester 2 mod: Microbes and Immunity & Disease Biology and Public Health

Just finished the first semester. Lecturers are friendly and teach well. I didn't particularly enjoy the plants module, but that's down to personal taste. Plenty of lab time, and assignments start off fairly nicely, they ease you in nicely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amethyst44)
    I'm enjoying it so far I don't think there's a module guide on the website, so as you know what to expect, here you go:

Year long modules: Molecular Basis of Life & Bioscience Skills
    Semester 1 mod: Molecular Chemistry & Plants and the Environment
    Semester 2 mod: Microbes and Immunity & Disease Biology and Public Health

Just finished the first semester. Lecturers are friendly and teach well. I didn't particularly enjoy the plants module, but that's down to personal taste. Plenty of lab time, and assignments start off fairly nicely, they ease you in nicely.

hey, thanks for replying! I havnt been able to speak to anyone whos taken or taking this course yet..

ive got a copy of the full 4 yrs worth of modules at the open day.. from the looks of it i think id enjoy it, im just concerned that i need to be more educated in the subject area before starting..
    ive studied animal management, which covered animal biology and genetics, some breeding and inheritance. got distinctions in everything but i dont how much independant research i need to do before starting the course. most people i presume with have done science based courses prior to uni..

i have a few questions too, out of curiosity

hows your time table so far?
    how much experience do you need in a lab before starting?
    what are the students like? they all brainy?
    whats the coursework load like?
    how often are exams?

hope you dont mind clearing that up a bit for me

ReputationRep:
    My timetable for the first semester on average was four two hour long lectures a week plus a practical session or two, depending on what groups you are in. You should be doing loads of reading and revision in your spare time though. The lecturers recommend 40 hours work a week for the entire course, this includes time spent in lectures and lab though.

You don't need too much experience. I personally had a fair bit, but I did biology and chemistry A level. If you're doing either/both of those, or physics, you'll be fine for lab experience. There are people on the course with no lab experience at all, they run you through each practical at the start of the session, and show you how to use all of the equipment.

It's a mix of students. I haven't met a lot of the students on my course, as they tend to mix students from the difference biology courses. E.g. in one practical, there could be students from genetics, biochemistry, forensics, biotechnology etc.

Coursework load hasn't been heavy so far. In the first semester, I had to submit two assessed lab reports, eleven practical booklets and an essay. It'll probably increase as the course goes on, however.

Exams are in December/January and April/May, with resits in July. There is one per module I believe. So, I sat two in December/January for my semester one modules, and will sit more in April/May for my semester two and year-long modules.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    yes thankyou

are you in mornings or afternoons mostly? im traveling to the campus so am hoping afternoons x)

and im keeping my fingers crossed for the new building being ready for september
    ive not got any replys yet through ucas though..

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.