I need a lot of help with my personal statement Watch

kieran96lfc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'd like to do forensic Psychology at university but I haven't done Psychology. 1.) How much does that matter? 2.) How can I make my personal statement great considering I don't do the subject at A level.
(The universities I am applying for do not state that Psychology is required.)
Thanks a lot.
moggington
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If they don't state that psychology is required, I wouldn't worry about having not studied it at A Level. It's a fairly popular A Level to do, but not all schools/colleges offer it and universities take this into consideration.

I'm presuming you've instead studied sciences like biology? Draw on your knowledge from the subjects you currently study and how this relates into your chosen degree course, even if you link its relevance to psychology as a whole as opposed to your specific interest as I'm guessing this would be easier?

Some books outlining an introduction to psychology may be useful, seeing as you haven't studied the subject at A Level, as it'll demonstrate that you have a strong interest in the subject. A book or two focusing more specifically on forensics might be worth a read too. Rather than retell the story of the book, reflect on what you read.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not studying psychology at A-level shouldn't be a problem, as universities will know that some schools don't offer it as a subject.

However, you need to use your PS to demonstrate you understand what studying forensic psychology would actually involve. To do this, you should show you have read books about the subject, and mention any other things that inspired you to study the subjects, e.g. lectures/seminars you have attended. You will also need to demonstrate you understand the scientific nature of the course you are applying for, so discussing your current study of science would be a good idea.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. It doesn't matter
2. What Slowloris said

Do be aware that if you ever wish to work in psychology then your degree must be accredited by the BPS. If it isn't, then you may as well not have bothered doing the degree in the first place. There's a full list of accredited courses here http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/ac?S...39%2C959%2C155
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.57%
The paper was reasonable (402)
45.37%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.62%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.43%

Watched Threads