Marshall-Lerner condition Watch

McG67
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm currently studying the Marshall-Lerner condition and how it can affect a country's current account. The use of PED to work out whether the total revenue of exports increases or not when there is a depreciation in the exchange rate has me confused.
Say the UK export a good to the USA, a depreciation in the Pound to the Dollar would result in that good being cheaper for people in the USA to purchase. I've been told to work out the PED of the UK exported good to determine whether the UK's export revenue will increase. However, I don't see why the PED is relevant, which is why I am confused.
Say the exchange rate is £12, a good in the UK that costs £1 will cost €2 in the USA. The exchange rate depreciates so that £11.5, meaning the good in the UK still costs £1, but to the USA, the good costs €1.5. I recognise there is a change in the price to someone in the USA, but to the UK, they well still be receiving £1 regardless of the exchange rate, when the USA convert their Dollars to pay in Pounds.
So how can the PED of the UK export be used to work out whether the UK will see an increase in total revenue? To the UK, there has been no change in the price and the amount of money they receive. Surely to work out whether the UK's total export revenue has increased, it just simply depends on whether there has been an increase in demand in the US. Even a 0.0001% increase in demand for the UK's export will give the UK an increased export revenue, due to the UK still receiving the same amount of pounds.
McG67
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The smiley faces should be a : and $.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (189)
30.14%
The paper was reasonable (253)
40.35%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
17.38%
It was TERRIBLE (76)
12.12%

Watched Threads