Help with personal statement Watch

mattdamon5
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am going to apply for 5 different courses. The uni's have the ones I want so it's perfect. However, what is the best way to approach my personal statement with this? Should I do a paragraph for each subject, or shall I be honest and say I have many interests and not sure which course I want to do? Will this put them off? Please give detailed answer if poss. Many thanks in advance
smd4std
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you seem totally lost

read a few guides on how to write a personal statement, and if you're still confused just ask
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How different are the courses? Unless they are all very similar, you will not be able to discuss each one accademically in the space allowed. You shouldn't tell universities you are indecisive, either. They are looking for applicants who are commited to the course, not those likely to drop out. It will be very likely that you will get a lot of rejections if you follow this route.

At some stage, you would have to decide between the courses anyway. Why would this decision be easier in a few months time?

What I would suggest is you take a year out and use it to gain work experience to decide exactly what you want to do. You will then be able to put together a successful application for one course. There is not much point applying now if you have no idea what you want to do.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Unless the courses are very similar (e.g. Politics, Political Science, Politics and IR, IR, International Politics) then it's impossible.

The whole point of your UCAS form is to make you look completely totally and utterly dedicated to your subject. Your PS is likely to result in five rejections, truth be told.

You're going to have to choose sooner or later, and so it's better if you can choose now, so as to maximise your chances. If you really don't know, then taking a gap year is going to be a better option, so that you can think it over some more.

Which courses are you planning on applying to? We might be able to make some suggestions if we know that much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (136)
24.91%
The paper was reasonable (242)
44.32%
Not feeling great about that exam (105)
19.23%
It was TERRIBLE (63)
11.54%

Watched Threads