A levels or University Foundation Programme? Watch

itsamberariamay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello everyone, First of all, thank you for reading this. I really appreciate it. I'm currently studying for the AS level. The subjects are Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. The subject that I want to take in university is Education Studies, so the subjects that I am taking now is completely irrelevant to it. I have no other option because those are the only ones available in my country. Not that the exams are not available. There's no one to teach them. A levels are not so popular here. So, anyways, I'm thinking that instead of A levels, I wanted to do the University Foundation Programme which takes only a year to complete. The programme is also recognized by over 75 universities in the UK. It will start in September 2014 and by September 2015, I'll be in university. It will probably save up a lot of time and there's lot of foundation courses to choose from, so a humanities foundation would be what I should study. I'm thinking of a college in London. What do you think I should do? Continue the A levels or go forward with the University Foundation Programme? All advice are truly appreciated! Thanks!
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're doing well at those subjects, you may aswell carry on. Reason being, the first year of University you get taught as if you were starting from the beginning to my understanding. A-levels are a qualification in their own and overall will assist in building your CV, rather then doing a Foundation degree and losing that opportunity.
itsamberariamay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
If you're doing well at those subjects, you may aswell carry on. Reason being, the first year of University you get taught as if you were starting from the beginning to my understanding. A-levels are a qualification in their own and overall will assist in building your CV, rather then doing a Foundation degree and losing that opportunity.
Thank you for the advice. To be honest, I'm quite fed up the science subjects that I'm studying now, particularly physics.I want to study Education in university, and there's a foundation programme for that. Do the universities prefer A levels to foundation?
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by itsamberariamay)
Thank you for the advice. To be honest, I'm quite fed up the science subjects that I'm studying now, particularly physics.I want to study Education in university, and there's a foundation programme for that. Do the universities prefer A levels to foundation?
I'm not sure whether doing a foundation degree even garuntee's your entry to first year. The traditional route is through A-levels.
smd4std
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
doing a foundation degree doesn't necessarily mean you'll get in to uni

also it costs 6k-9k a year, plus london is expensive, it'll probably cost you 7k a year for accomodation and around 5-6k for living costs.

you're probably better off doing a levels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (7)
30.43%
The paper was reasonable (10)
43.48%
Not feeling great about that exam... (3)
13.04%
It was TERRIBLE (3)
13.04%

Watched Threads