Turn on thread page Beta

Media blackout for the trial of Lee Rigbys killers? watch

ReputationRep:
    I see there was an e-petition requesting a media blackout to prevent publicity for the killers.

The petition was rejected, but are some of the media avoiding it? Aside from the Mirror and Mail, couldn't see The Telegraph, Guardian, Times or BBC featuring on a quick google search.

Given the extraordinary nature of the killing it would normally warrant considerable media coverage. What's up? Is it concern about giving the killers publicity, journalistic diversity reporting guidelines, something else?

It's seems very bizarre to me and slightly Orwellian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi019)
    I see there was an e-petition requesting a media blackout to prevent publicity for the killers.

The petition was rejected, but are some of the media avoiding it? Aside from the Mirror and Mail, couldn't see The Telegraph, Guardian, Times or BBC featuring on a quick google search.

Given the extraordinary nature of the killing it would normally warrant considerable media coverage. What's up? Is it concern about giving the killers publicity, journalistic diversity reporting guidelines, something else?

It's seems very bizarre to me and slightly Orwellian.
    Normal behaviour in high profile cases in order to ensure the Jury isn't influenced.

ReputationRep:
    Are you for real? As if the Jury hasn't 'on the off chance' actually heard of the case. What comedy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by tfish)
    Are you for real? As if the Jury hasn't 'on the off chance' actually heard of the case. What comedy.
    They are trying to avoid making things worse, excessive media attention can and has buggered up trials in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    They are trying to avoid making things worse, excessive media attention can and has buggered up trials in the past.
    What exactly is there to bugger-up in this case though? An Islamic-nutjob slaughtered an innocent person in broad daylight.

If there were any justice, the only thing we'd we debating is which form of capital punishment be most appropriate to mete out to these scum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heliosphan)
    What exactly is there to bugger-up in this case though? An Islamic-nutjob slaughtered an innocent person in broad daylight.

If there were any justice, the only thing we'd we debating is which form of capital punishment be most appropriate to mete out to these scum.
    You're in favour of capital punishment? Interesting...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fungii)
    You're in favour of capital punishment? Interesting...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Best not to have capital punishment in this instance, you know, just in case it turns out they didn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Absolute waffle. They beheaded a British Soldier on the streets of England. You are a fool to even think this is some kind of protection of the verdict. Hilarious. What might happen? They get off? Get your head out of the sand Leftwing ney sayer. This is Islamic appeasement. The withholding of information from the British public to soften the blow that followers of a evil religion are on our streets and some mean to kill us. Yes that the cold hard truth & the Govt know that that could cause civil unrest. It is still treason to withhold this from the public though. Cameron should be dragged from office if this is his command.

ReputationRep:
    R.I.P Lee Rigby :heart:

ReputationRep:
    It's to stop making people angry toward muslims, simple as that really, the sooner Lee Rigby is forgotten the better in the eyes of the government and that is the truth.

Mark Duggan's trial. the guy that murdered the two police officers, went on for what felt like forever, covered extensively and had huge sections of Manchester city centre shut down for the funeral.

ReputationRep:

How would that change anything?

They goaded armed police officers into shooting them. They wanted tto martyr themselves.

The best way of dealing with that is to stick them in prison on a life sentence.

Why does it need to be publicised anyway you know what gonna happen right?

ReputationRep:
    They did it to get their "message" out. I'd rather not give them what they wanted.

ReputationRep:
    I understand what they did wasn't right, but I do hope they get some leniency. It's not like it was just another civilian or anything, was a British soldier who have an awful human rights track record. One should try to understand where the two suspects are coming from, seeing millions of lives ruined and thousands of people dying in part due to the UK's actions abroad.

I think it should be seen as a understandable (but still wrong) reaction to the real problem, which is this nations foreign policies. I believe this is the reason why people like the OP want a media blackout, as undeniably this will be a focus that people are too afraid (and embarrassed) to face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-Mudaari)
    I understand what they did wasn't right, but I do hope they get some leniency. It's not like it was just another civilian or anything, was a British soldier who have an awful human rights track record. One should try to understand where the two suspects are coming from, seeing millions of lives ruined and thousands of people dying in part due to the UK's actions abroad.

I think it should be seen as a understandable (but still wrong) reaction to the real problem, which is this nations foreign policies. I believe this is the reason why people like the OP want a media blackout, as undeniably this will be a focus that people are too afraid (and embarrassed) to face.
    The human rights track record you speak of isn't a blanket excuse to attack and kill serving soldiers. It's not valid to use political or religious motivations to attack random members of the military based on incidents that are sporadic at best and are instantly condemned by senior officers and often result in the responsible parties being punished. So the killers of Lee Rigby do not deserve leniency.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is that our legal system is so 'fair' (ironically), that a very good lawyer could probably get even these two off if it was deemed that they couldn't have a fair trial. You cannot prosecute someone without a fair trial, even if everyone saw them do it.

Perhaps a lawyer can elaborate / contradict me, but I think this is standard policy in order to ensure they get convicted, not to help them.

ReputationRep:

You make me sick to my ****ing stomach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    The thing is that our legal system is so 'fair' (ironically), that a very good lawyer could probably get even these two off if it was deemed that they couldn't have a fair trial. You cannot prosecute someone without a fair trial, even if everyone saw them do it.

Perhaps a lawyer can elaborate / contradict me, but I think this is standard policy in order to ensure they get convicted, not to help them.
    Actually almost forgot about that.

If it's shown they had mental health issues, then they shouldn't be persecuted at all.

ReputationRep:
    Actually almost forgot about that.

If it's shown they had mental health issues, then they shouldn't persecuted at all.
    No they should be locked up for the rest of their lives for the protection of the public.

I would prefer this as they will have a much harder time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PopaPork)
    No they should be locked up for the rest of their lives for the protection of the public.

I would prefer this as they will have a much harder time
    Why would you lock someone up for suffering an illness? What fault is theirs? Rather, they should be given treatment and released upon full recovery.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.