What's your school doing for anti-bullying week? [ABW2013] Watch

Milostar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
It's Anti-Bullying Week this week, and as part of our ABW2013 campaign, we're starting a series of discussions on bullying (here's Monday's). Today we'd like to know more about what schools are doing for ABW2013, and what you think of it.

There's been a lot of media coverage, but what's actually happening in you schools?

What's your school doing to promote the message of Anti-Bullying Week, and do you think their approach is effective?

Is bullying a problem in your school, and do you think Anti-Bullying Week can help combat it?
c_k62
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Absolutely bot all
Delfina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Our school censors what we publish in the internet. If someone uses a derrogative word, the IT person gets a message.
Captain Jack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by c_k62)
Absolutely bot all
(Original post by Delfina)
Our school censors what we publish in the internet. If someone uses a derrogative word, the IT person gets a message.
Are your teachers doing anything in assembly?
c_k62
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Captain Jack)
No, my school/sixth form don't do stuff like anti bullying week
Midnightmemories
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Had a assembly on it.
And also brought a wristband.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Delfina
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In lower grades (year 7 to 10) they do have talks once or twice a year about bullying. We also talk about it sometimes in our tutor groups. I haven't seen bullying in our school. People are generally nice. My school is an all girls school though. The only thing in our school that I don't really like is the slight discrimination against people whose first language is not English. English people in our school are more friendly to people who have English as their first language and tend to avoid trying to speak to people whose first language is different, even if they speak English fluently. The school doesn't really see it although in lower grades they try to mix people in the rooms,so that there would be more interaction between people from different nationalities.
username1084946
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As far as I'm aware nothing has or is being done for ABW this year at my 6th form.
But somehow the rates of bullying where I'm at are pretty below average anyway, if someone's a consistent troublemaker then they just get removed from the school entirely after three attempts or chances from support staff.

I don't believe that anti-bullying should just have one week of the year to be focused on to be honest.
I think that it should be a year round event that is being enforced all the time. If I was head of the school, I would be having two systems in place that I've just thought of.

Firstly, during anti-bullying week, I would highlight the issue obviously but do it in an engaging assembly with a lot of students. I think what would work quite well is getting everyone to stand, say their name and one thing they like about themselves and one thing they don't like. This would become less embarassing after the first few people clearly but I think it will teach everyone that no-one really cares about the fact that everyone's different anyway, and it will show them that we can all get along now that we've shared our differences. Who knows, some may even make friends with the ones who like the same things or whatever.

Secondly, I would make sure that every student received some form of tutoring or mentoring (like a meeting to discuss your well-being) at least once a term with someone who they feel comfortable with (an older student friend, favorite teacher).

I know that this post may seem to answer more questions than those asked but still.
If you got this far then I hope my dream made sense to you. Thanks for reading.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This obsession with overprotective behaviour will only damage this society in the long run. People get offended too easily these days – we can see countless examples here on TSR – and if you continue artificially suppressing normal forms of human behaviour, e.g. social pressure and what is nowadays considered to be bullying, you will only raise a multitude of cowards and generally socially inept people who will stand no chance in the market, for example.

Rather than trying to manipulate people to comply with your arbitrary set of norms, they should be taught how to deal with natural conditions of this system, ergo defend themselves. It is rather tragic and counterproductive how inadequately are such issues currently handled, see this campaign. There is a natural order to this world and the sooner you realise that, the better (however, I am not saying we should not prevent extreme beating and constant humiliation, but those are just consequences of incorrect formative effects, so we should tackle mainly the root of antisocial behaviour, not the behaviour itself).
ChocolateMelody
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think anti-bullying week has been discussed at my secondary school at all - it might have been mentioned at primary school though.
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I personally think ABW is pretty futile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gorwell
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nothing, none of my friends knew of ABW until I mentioned it!
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Milostar)
What's your school doing for anti-bullying week?
Smoking weed.
Spoiler:
Show
On a serious note - nothing at all. I only found out about ABW on TSR and I didn't know what ABW meant so I typed it into Google and the first suggestion that came up was ''Angry Black Woman'' - urban dictionary :rofl:
chocolatesauce
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
our school was selling T-shirts with words like *****, gay, ugly etc. and on the back it says 'how do you think it makes me feel?'and then we all wore them today!
Captain Jack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chocolatesauce)
our school was selling T-shirts with words like *****, gay, ugly etc. and on the back it says 'how do you think it makes me feel?'and then we all wore them today!
That's pretty awesome
g.k.galloway
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We did absolutely nothing...awful really
Atsushi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nobody even knew it was abw.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed