How's accommodation work? Watch

9kenny5
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I know in the first year you pay a full year and your room stays for you. What happens if you live off campus and rent, then you go home between terms? Would you keep paying the weekly rent to keep your room yours? Or do people have a system for that. Thanks!
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When you live off campus, you are renting as any tenant would. This means that you have to pay rent to keep the room, even if you are not living there, e.g. over christmas. In some ways, this is useful, as it means you don't have to move all your stuff out every holiday, and you can be flexible about when you leave and come back. It also gives you the option of not leaving if you get a job or need to stay near uni for some reason.

If you don't really understand how renting works, it might be a good idea to research this, before you move out. This way you will have a better chance of understanding any contracts you sign up to and your rights and responsibilities in law.
9kenny5
Rep:
?
Thanks for the into. I'm researching stuff now. Seems like renting a place off campus all year round is cheaper than on .

Posted from TSR Mobile
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 9kenny5)
Thanks for the into. I'm researching stuff now. Seems like renting a place off campus all year round is cheaper than on .

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is usually cheaper because university halls include all bills including internet. They will also normally not charge you for the whole year if you chose to drop out. Some halls also provide services like cleaning and extra security.
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You typically don't get halls for the full year, just 40 weeks or so. This will be the start of term (minus a couple of days) through the terms, holidays and a bit into summer.

If you get your own house, you may be liable to pay for the whole 12 months, depending on the contract. Even if the weekly price is cheaper, having to pay for it for longer may make it more expensive. Some may be able to give you a 10 month contract or give you half-rent over the summer months though.

If you go home at Christmas and Easter, you'll still have to pay for the room. They don't care about your priorities, they just want their money for the place you're renting. You also typically pay monthly, not weekly. You will have to budget in a deposit as well - It's typically the same as one whole month of rent.

Renting off campus can be cheaper, but it can be less forgiving. Halls will often give you unlimited electricity, gas, water and internet (usually they're all included in the price). If you rent off campus you will typically have to manage those bills yourself (and sort out council tax, which should be free for students but you need to sort out the council forms) and you may go massively over if you're not well managed.
9kenny5
Rep:
?
So for undergraduate accommodation on campus for the first year, Kent gives 31 weeks. How does that work? That's not a full year, so where will I go? Do they expect you to go home for breaks?
SillyEddy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So for undergraduate accommodation on campus for the first year, Kent gives 31 weeks. How does that work? That's not a full year, so where will I go? Do they expect you to go home for breaks?
It depends how they do their timetabling, term length and when the exam period runs from. Each term is ~12 weeks long and the holidays (Christmas and Easter) are ~3 weeks long. That gives you 30 weeks, plus a week to get in and move out. It is cut quite fine, I'll admit, but it is a full academic year.

They expect you to go home for the summer. It's up to you if you stay for Christmas and Easter, but the occupancy is from the start date. It's 31 weeks from when you move in - You can't pick and choose which weeks they count, it's a calendar and they start counting when you arrive. The breaks are included in those 31 weeks.
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In halls you still have to pay for the Christmas and easter holiday as far as I'm aware. Although I don't think you do everywhere as some halls make you clear your stuff at both of those holidays ! When you're in private accommodation you can get 10 month contracts or 12 month contracts. 10 months means that you won't be paying for the summer holiday. Although even if you are renting the same place in the next academic year, you might have to clear your stuff in the summer, incase the landlord rents it out to holiday makers in the summer. Or you can get 12 month contracts, which means you'll have to pay for the summer when you won't be there. Although it does make it easier to stay in your uni city for a few more days/weeks than other might. And if you want to keep some of your stuff there over the summer, you can. You don't usually get to pick if the contract is 1/12 months, but it is something to consider seeing as you could be paying £500-1000 extra if you have a 12 month instead of 10 month contract. Renting privately is often cheaper, although you need to watch if the rent includes bills or not. Plus some halls can be catered which makes it easier. Plus sorting out halls accommodation is easier for freshers. But it means you don't get to pick your housemates, which can be bad for many people. If you apply for private accommodation, check if the ad says 'to be let as a whole' which means the landlord wants a group of people to approach them that would fill the house. Which is why its harder for freshers, as you usually haven't got a group of people to live with yet. But my uni and probably others has a page for freshers who didn't get into halls, to find housemates to live with. This makes it easier for house hunting and gives you the option to apply for these houses. Even if the ad doesn't say 'to be let as a whole' if a group of people approach the landlord then they'll still accept you.
9kenny5
Rep:
?
Sorry. I think its actually 39 weeks. So how long is the summer break?
SillyEddy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry. I think its actually 39 weeks. So how long is the summer break?
3-4 months depending on when you finish and when you start.

Your university will have term dates available for you to look through to work it out.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not necessarily cheaper to live off campus, because you have to take into account the fact that
- off campus tenancies will be for 52 weeks, not 32 or 40 weeks as halls are
- you have to account for the cost of gas, electricity, water and internet on top (budget £50-60pm), whereas halls tenancies include all of these on an unlimited basis
- if you were to drop out, then in private accommodation you'd have to keep paying for the whole year, whereas unis normally don't make you

There are also other, non-economic benefits to being in halls such as it being easier to make friends in halls, and universities being very good landlords too.

Everywhere expects that you will go home over the summer (though it's invariably possible to extend your tenancy over summer if need be), but chances are that Kent expects you to move yourself and your belongings out over christmas and easter too.
9kenny5
Rep:
?
Alright then. Thanks! So what do they need the room emptied for? Does someone else live in there for 2 months?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Alright then. Thanks! So what do they need the room emptied for? Does someone else live in there for 2 months?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Often they'll rent it out for conferences and events

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
22.97%
The paper was reasonable (430)
44.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.09%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise