Turn on thread page Beta

girl owes me money, refused to pay and she ended friendship.. watch

ReputationRep:
    I need to get this off my chest and ill make it as brief as possible. i bought tickets for a gig for myself and friends, told them in plenty of time the dates etc. 2 days before the gig, one of my 'friends' cancels, says she doesnt want to go anymore and will give me the money if i cant sell the ticket. now shed cancelled on me a fair fews times by this point, so i knew this was gonna happen. i couldnt get the ticket sold, so politely texted her saying so and asking for the money. she said she was 'skint' right now and would pay me at the end of the month. later on that day i went on facebook and she'd blocked me, and from everything else. so i was thinking: what the hell? i texted her asking about it, she ignored me, so i tried to phone her, she didnt answer. i said id come to her house myself and get the money but that i couldnt believe shed ended a friendship like this.

she then eventually replied telling me to "**** off" and claiming that id been "hassling" her for the money, when I had only sent 1 text informing her no one could buy the ticket and even said "I dont mind" when she said id have to wait til the end of the month. she then had someone phone me from a blocked number and give me hassle. i hung up and didnt say anything. i thought this behaviour was very high school... and unnecessary

but the thing is she's done this before to another girl, as she told me herself that a friend had booked a hotel and she then decided she didnt want to go anymore and the girl asked for the money (funnily enough it was the same amount..) and she "didnt wanna give her it" and apparently the girl "gave her abuse" but now its seeming like it was the other way around after how shes treated me.

so basically, do i have any "legal" rights to get the money i am owed? and despite the obvious answer being that i should want nothing to do with her anymore after this, is there anything i can or should do? (she's 21 just so you know..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocolatesoup)
    I need to get this off my chest and ill make it as brief as possible. i bought tickets for a gig for myself and friends, told them in plenty of time the dates etc. 2 days before the gig, one of my 'friends' cancels, says she doesnt want to go anymore and will give me the money if i cant sell the ticket. now shed cancelled on me a fair fews times by this point, so i knew this was gonna happen. i couldnt get the ticket sold, so politely texted her saying so and asking for the money. she said she was 'skint' right now and would pay me at the end of the month. later on that day i went on facebook and she'd blocked me, and from everything else. so i was thinking: what the hell? i texted her asking about it, she ignored me, so i tried to phone her, she didnt answer. i said id come to her house myself and get the money but that i couldnt believe shed ended a friendship like this.

she then eventually replied telling me to "**** off" and claiming that id been "hassling" her for the money, when I had only sent 1 text informing her no one could buy the ticket and even said "I dont mind" when she said id have to wait til the end of the month. she then had someone phone me from a blocked number and give me hassle. i hung up and didnt say anything. i thought this behaviour was very high school... and unnecessary

but the thing is she's done this before to another girl, as she told me herself that a friend had booked a hotel and she then decided she didnt want to go anymore and the girl asked for the money (funnily enough it was the same amount..) and she "didnt wanna give her it" and apparently the girl "gave her abuse" but now its seeming like it was the other way around after how shes treated me.

so basically, do i have any "legal" rights to get the money i am owed? and despite the obvious answer being that i should want nothing to do with her anymore after this, is there anything i can or should do? (she's 21 just so you know..)
    Go to her parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Go to her parents.
    the way she has behaved i get the impression she will have lied and twisted things to suit her and make her look like some sort of victim in all this. i dont really want drama or hassle and im quite a shy quiet person so turning up at someones house and asking for money to me seems like it would go down badly. it does seem like a solution but i dont feel like I have the balls enough to do it haha.

ReputationRep:

It's tricky. You didn't sign anything with her - I don't think you'll get it back unfortunately.

I think most people have had a problem with friends who like to get out of paying, so my approach to booking things is now, "I'm not including you in the numbers unless you give me the money up front." If it's for a hotel, I just don't book it until everybody has given me their money and that saves me from being stuck with a hotel that I've paid for with the potential for no one else contributing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    It's tricky. You didn't sign anything with her - I don't think you'll get it back unfortunately.

I think most people have had a problem with friends who like to get out of paying, so my approach to booking things is now, "I'm not including you in the numbers unless you give me the money up front." If it's for a hotel, I just don't book it until everybody has given me their money and that saves me from being stuck with a hotel that I've paid for with the potential for no one else contributing.
    yeah, i didnt think the texts where she initially agreed to come to the gig and then recently when she said she'd give me the money would count as a contract unfortunately :/ I dont think it would count as theft either although when asking friends for advice theyve said she has technically stolen from me hah. i just find it strange that someone would owe people money and instead of taking responsibility would flee..
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

It's risky at the best of times to buy tickets in the 'hope' of selling them. Especially if your ex-friend has a history of this that you were aware of.
    No different to any business that buy's stock it cannot then sell. Its why businesses go bust.

Unless you made a verbal contract/agreement with her prior to you purchasing the tickets, I don't think you have any hope of pursuading a small claims court that she owes you the money.

It changes somewhat if you gave her the ticket (after you purchased it) and on the understanding that she would pay for it regardless That also constitutes a verbal contract which she is nw in default.

Other than that and without one of the above, in the small claims court, it would simply be a case of your word against hers. Whilst the magistrate may be sympathetic, you are most likely to be told to put this down to experience and the other party probably won't even show up.

Make a note of this and next time, make sure you get the money off everyone before you buy the tickets. And don't deal with anyone who has a history of not paying.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you know that girls get everything they want?
    She says she wants money, you give her money, and don't expect anything in return.
    Or you're a bad man slave.

ReputationRep:
    I know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have my money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my money go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad

There was no contract but you still have a chance with tort but it seems like you have lil chance to get the money back with Civil law, try Criminal Law.

Also if you have that 'skint' text saved, that would help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    It's risky at the best of times to buy tickets in the 'hope' of selling them. Especially if your ex-friend has a history of this that you were aware of.
    No different to any business that buy's stock it cannot then sell. Its why businesses go bust.

Unless you made a verbal contract/agreement with her prior to you purchasing the tickets, I don't think you have any hope of pursuading a small claims court that she owes you the money.

It changes somewhat if you gave her the ticket (after you purchased it) and on the understanding that she would pay for it regardless That also constitutes a verbal contract which she is nw in default.

Other than that and without one of the above, in the small claims court, it would simply be a case of your word against hers. Whilst the magistrate may be sympathetic, you are most likely to be told to put this down to experience and the other party probably won't even show up.

Make a note of this and next time, make sure you get the money off everyone before you buy the tickets. And don't deal with anyone who has a history of not paying.
    well her behaviour was on and off, we went to concerts twice before and she didnt cancel so i didnt think she would, the times she cancelled before were general plans, but it was still an inconvenience. the way she behaved towards her other friend made me suspicious but I really didnt think she'd treat me the same way, because shes lost a lot of friends so youd think shed want to be a good friend and not fall out with people over the same thing.. her owing them money. in future i will definitely be getting the money up front.

ReputationRep:
    Losing your money is worth it in order eliminate a turd bag of a "friend".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enoxial)
    There was no contract but you still have a chance with tort but it seems like you have lil chance to get the money back with Public law, try Criminal Law.

Also if you have that 'skint' text saved, that would help.
    I'm not sure what I have just read, but it's certainly not law as I have studied it.

In relation to what someone else posted, signature is irrelevant. Writing is only relevant in so far as it is evidence of a contract, but that doesn't seem to matter here as the OP almost certainly has enough evidence of an oral contract. In relation to the 'my word against hers' point, so what? It's not like judges add up how many people are on each side and call it a draw if its evenly matched. If you can show, on the balance of probabilities, that there was an oral contract, then you win.

The biggest issue imo is that it may not be worth the time and effort of making a small claim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extremotroph)
    Losing your money is worth it in order eliminate a turd bag of a "friend".
    yeah, im not so fussed about the money i think its more i wanna send a message or wake her up to her behaviour, because she cant keep doing this to people as oneday she will do it to the wrong person and get herself into a lot of trouble..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    Didn't you know that girls get everything they want?
    She says she wants money, you give her money, and don't expect anything in return.
    Or you're a bad man slave.
    Someone forgot to check the gender sign.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, im not so fussed about the money i think its more i wanna send a message or wake her up to her behaviour, because she cant keep doing this to people as oneday she will do it to the wrong person and get herself into a lot of trouble..
    It's very difficult to control another person's behaviour. Especially in this case, since this girl seems a bit tapped in the head.

ReputationRep:
    She's a disgusting turd nugget. Forget about the money, and instead, curtail all communication with her immediately.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's wrong what she did! Work out how much effort you want to exert getting this money. Then put it down to experience.....

Because of these situations I rarely do this unless I can afford to 'lose' the money!

There will always be people who say: 'oh when you said shall we go to x, and shall I get the tickets? -i didn't think that you would/I didn't mean I was definitely going /thought you were paying/just realised I can't afford it (and therefore you should pay...)

Invest in people who are decent!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    How much money are we talking about for this ticket? If it's a lot then it's worth going to her parents, or getting your parents to contact hers. I think the main problem has been solved in that you've gotten rid of this friendship. She's obviously tight and not worth trusting, so it's better to lose her now than later when she may have owed you a lot more money.

ReputationRep:
    Also if you feel like 'teaching her a lesson'. A recorded delivery letter from you indicating your intentions to go to small claims may focus her mind...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ReputationRep:
    yeah the friendship is over so thats whats best for me because why would i want to be friends with someone like this, but its the fact *she* ended the friendship! despite her being in the wrong. i know theres no point being annoyed about it now cos its over and done with, but i just feel frustrated at how shes behaved. some people think in time she might get back in touch and realise how shes been, but i really doubt this! and i wouldnt give her a second chance either.

i asked her 6 months in advance if she wanted to go, she said yes, i wasnt forcing her or had already bought the tickets, i asked if she wanted a ticket. i think she had no intention of going, for whatever reason she could possibly fathom, and because i wasnt going to this one by myself she thought it would be okay to bail... not thinking that you cant play around with people like that when it comes to money.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2013
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.