Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m an absolute idiot (impulsive buyer) who just bought aphone off ebay. I was a bit worried when after buying and paying they refusedto let me collect even though we live in the same town, they also posted itfrom my local post office! Anyway, I used checkmend and it said it was clear. Uponturning it on the phone needs a pin, and has a new message even though i haven’tput a sim in ( the same thing happened with sim in). The time was also in thecorner even though its supposedly never been used and its a bit dirty L.
    Does the pin and message mean that its been blocked andcheckmend haven’t updated their stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vivavangveing)
    I’m an absolute idiot (impulsive buyer) who just bought aphone off ebay. I was a bit worried when after buying and paying they refusedto let me collect even though we live in the same town, they also posted itfrom my local post office! Anyway, I used checkmend and it said it was clear. Uponturning it on the phone needs a pin, and has a new message even though i haven’tput a sim in ( the same thing happened with sim in). The time was also in thecorner even though its supposedly never been used and its a bit dirty L.
    Does the pin and message mean that its been blocked andcheckmend haven’t updated their stuff?
    Hi vivavangveing

Sorry to hear about your phone

I'm not sure what the PIN and message mean, but perhaps if you post in the mobile phone forum someone can advise.

As for ebay, just double check what Ebay means by 'brand new'. If it means never used then you should report the seller. If youwere scammed, Ebay can help you get your money back.

ReputationRep:
    You have most likely been scammed
    Did you find out the PIN? Tried 0123?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milostar)
    Hi vivavangveing

Sorry to hear about your phone

I'm not sure what the PIN and message mean, but perhaps if you post in the mobile phone forum someone can advise.

As for ebay, just double check what Ebay means by 'brand new'. If it means never used then you should report the seller. If youwere scammed, Ebay can help you get your money back.
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    You have most likely been scammed
    Did you find out the PIN? Tried 0123?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you both. I opened a case with ebay and got loads of abuse from the seller who reckons they opened the box, turned it on, put the pin in, then put it straight back in the box to sell and definitely haven't used it They also refused to give me the pin because I opened a case and accused me of causing the damage that I had reported was on the phone. Really hoping ebay side with me.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both. I opened a case with ebay and got loads of abuse from the seller who reckons they opened the box, turned it on, put the pin in, then put it straight back in the box to sell and definitely haven't used it They also refused to give me the pin because I opened a case and accused me of causing the damage that I had reported was on the phone. Really hoping ebay side with me.
    I'm sure ebay will definitely side with you. They should be able to see all records of contact between you and the seller and you have 'buyer's protection'. The item was not sold to you as it was described so you are entitled to a refund unless the seller stated in the description about the pin, that he had used it (even if it was only to put in a PIN) as this clearly isn't new.

ReputationRep:
    That's shocking, and I'm pretty sure Ebay will side with you. The seller can't possibly justify putting in a PIN and then claiming it's brand new. It seems that quite a lot of sellers do strange things to 'protect themselves from dodgy buyers', and claim the buyer damaged/lost/stole the item. I had a similar Ebay dispute when an item went missing - first the seller tried to stop me opening a case with Ebay, refused to give me the tracking number of the parcel, and then accused me of stealing it. I won the case, and it turned out the post office lost the parcel. So whatever the seller says, stick to your rights and listen to what Ebay tells you, and it will be ok

please let us know how it works out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milostar)
    That's shocking, and I'm pretty sure Ebay will side with you. The seller can't possibly justify putting in a PIN and then claiming it's brand new. It seems that quite a lot of sellers do strange things to 'protect themselves from dodgy buyers', and claim the buyer damaged/lost/stole the item. I had a similar Ebay dispute when an item went missing - first the seller tried to stop me opening a case with Ebay, refused to give me the tracking number of the parcel, and then accused me of stealing it. I won the case, and it turned out the post office lost the parcel. So whatever the seller says, stick to your rights and listen to what Ebay tells you, and it will be ok

please let us know how it works out
    (Original post by Joshalos)
    I'm sure ebay will definitely side with you. They should be able to see all records of contact between you and the seller and you have 'buyer's protection'. The item was not sold to you as it was described so you are entitled to a refund unless the seller stated in the description about the pin, that he had used it (even if it was only to put in a PIN) as this clearly isn't new.
    Thank you both i was quite worried so thanks for the reassurance . Ebay have agreed to a full refund and return postage paid. Although the seller is now messaging me privately saying they are on holiday for a week, which would mess up the return deadline/signature required but ebay have been really helpful so far so hopefully it will be ok.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both i was quite worried so thanks for the reassurance . Ebay have agreed to a full refund and return postage paid. Although the seller is now messaging me privately saying they are on holiday for a week, which would mess up the return deadline/signature required but ebay have been really helpful so far so hopefully it will be ok.
    That's great you're getting a refund I'm sure you know this, but whatever he seller tells you, just do as Ebay says. They might be using the holiday as an excuse to make you miss some deadline. They broke the rules so it's their problem.

Good on you for taking up a case against a dodgy seller

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 28, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.