Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if the A-Level options i am going to choose, seem good & respected etc?
    I have to hand the form in on Friday so advice would be appreciated asap!
    I'm predicted all A/A* in My GCSES apart from Additional Science -_- (a B) which i hope to improve somehow!!

The Subjects i am thinking of taking are:
    English Literature
    History
    Psychology
    & Japanese

I want to go on to study English at a respected university, Durham would be amazing, so advice on if these subjects would be respected is vital!!

English Literature (Predicted A* at GCSE) - I love English Literature and it is my favourite subject at GCSE so it is just a given that i will take it at a Level. I will be studying Jane Eyre & 1984, with some poetry also. If anyone could tell me how big the step up is from GCSE that would be much appreciated!

History (Predicted A/A* at GCSE) - I absolutely adore History, especially medieval, and that will be the course i will be studying at AS level it is my most enjoyable subject, and i've had a passion for it since i was younger, however some people have said its quite a big step up? and it gets a lot harder? is this true? even if it is i will still be taking it!

Japanese (Predicted A at GCSE) - This might seem an odd choice.. but i have loved the Culture of Japan and Anime etc ever since i was little and so when we got the choice of French, Spanish, German or Japanese at GCSE i obviously chose Japanese! i think i am quite good at the subject? and i really do enjoy it however i have heard horror stories of how difficult the AS is! I still really do hope to take it though!

Psychology - Now this is the one i would be worried about.. I absolutely adore Psychology and read up on it in my free time and i'm very interested in the course, however is there a lot of Science involved?? i'm Predicted an A & a B in my science GCSES and it is my worst subject -_- so im slightly worried? i hope to get two A's in Science if i work well though

So if anyone could tell me how these subjects are.. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venuss)

Psychology - Now this is the one i would be worried about.. I absolutely adore Psychology and read up on it in my free time and i'm very interested in the course, however is there a lot of Science involved?? i'm Predicted an A & a B in my science GCSES and it is my worst subject -_- so im slightly worried? i hope to get two A's in Science if i work well though

So if anyone could tell me how these subjects are.. Thanks!
    Psychology is'nt so hard once you get used to it.
    Which exam board are you with? I'm doing A2 now with AQA.
    At first, it can seem like a large workload but that's just the same with any other A-Level and it's something you'll adjust to in time.
    Psychology, just to be clear, is the study of human behavior. Obviously to do this in a valid way, research has to be conducted as if it were a science in order to gain respect from others. If you are doing the AQA course then the only real "science" and maths aspect is understanding how basic models and principles work in action and how variables and experiments can be criticized and evaluated.
    You should enjoy Psychology if you like to discuss and participate.

Other than that I think you have chosen some great courses which you have clearly thought of a lot beforehand!
    Good luck!
    Hope this helps, if not let me know
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Venuss)
    I was just wondering if the A-Level options i am going to choose, seem good & respected etc?
    I have to hand the form in on Friday so advice would be appreciated asap!
    I'm predicted all A/A* in My GCSES apart from Additional Science -_- (a B) which i hope to improve somehow!!

The Subjects i am thinking of taking are:
    English Literature
    History
    Psychology
    & Japanese

I want to go on to study English at a respected university, Durham would be amazing, so advice on if these subjects would be respected is vital!!

English Literature (Predicted A* at GCSE) - I love English Literature and it is my favourite subject at GCSE so it is just a given that i will take it at a Level. I will be studying Jane Eyre & 1984, with some poetry also. If anyone could tell me how big the step up is from GCSE that would be much appreciated!

History (Predicted A/A* at GCSE) - I absolutely adore History, especially medieval, and that will be the course i will be studying at AS level it is my most enjoyable subject, and i've had a passion for it since i was younger, however some people have said its quite a big step up? and it gets a lot harder? is this true? even if it is i will still be taking it!
    I can speak for English Literature and History! (Currently studying both at A2). Firstly, they're both amazing subjects and I adore them, and it seems like you will too as you're very enthusiastic about them, that helps so much at A level as you'll have the motivation to revise!

I actually found English Literature quite straight forward and the step up wasn't too bad, I didn't find it any more difficult and I didn't get an A* at GCSE either. For most exam boards, AS is an open book exam so it's not too demanding as it isn't necessary to learn quotations (though it would help save time in an exam!) You need to know your texts fairly well of course, so reading them a couple of times may help! It's also good to put a critics opinion into your exam answers, so just take a quotation and use it to support an answer

History is probably a bit more of a step up, but it's definitely my favourite subject alongside Biology. The exam paper layout for me was quite different. There is also A LOT to memorise for the exam, and I mean a lot Just work efficiently and you'll be fine. It is important in History to get your essay technique correct, as this makes you hit the top marks if it's good! Once you've got the technique right, you just need to apply your knowledge As for source questions, make sure you look at who wrote it and when, as this will obviously determine the motive of the person and therefore shape your opinion. Obviously if it was written 100 years after the event, they've been exposed to many documents which may have affected their opinion. (I'm sure you've probably done this a lot at GCSE anyway!)

But anyway, you should be absolutely fine with both and they're great subjects, so put the effort in and you'll do very well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is great!! I did it at a level along with English lit and lang and the English really helped with my essay writing in psychology. For me my a level was down to written class assessments and written exam pieces so if you're good at writing and understand the knowledge you can't really go wrong.

There isn't any science involved as far as I can remember. It's a social science which is different. I guess we learnt about how the brain works but that's about it.

There is a lot of content though, lots of researchers and studies you need to remember but they are all so interesting so it's not a problem it's interesting to apply what you know to your own family and self, such as why someone you know behaves like x and so on, it's good!

I'm now doing criminology and psychology at uni and I love, love, love it also finding it quite easy!

Hope this helped a little bit!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kk_15)
    Psychology is'nt so hard once you get used to it.
    Which exam board are you with? I'm doing A2 now with AQA.
    At first, it can seem like a large workload but that's just the same with any other A-Level and it's something you'll adjust to in time.
    Psychology, just to be clear, is the study of human behavior. Obviously to do this in a valid way, research has to be conducted as if it were a science in order to gain respect from others. If you are doing the AQA course then the only real "science" and maths aspect is understanding how basic models and principles work in action and how variables and experiments can be criticized and evaluated.
    You should enjoy Psychology if you like to discuss and participate.

Other than that I think you have chosen some great courses which you have clearly thought of a lot beforehand!
    Good luck!
    Hope this helps, if not let me know
    Thank you! I have looked up the course content, and my syllabus would also be with AQA, so that's very useful, and i will definitely ask you if I have any more questions!
    I really am interested in human behaviour, so it should all be good! it's only really chemistry I have ever had a problem with

(Original post by Lucy96)
    I can speak for English Literature and History! (Currently studying both at A2). Firstly, they're both amazing subjects and I adore them, and it seems like you will too as you're very enthusiastic about them, that helps so much at A level as you'll have the motivation to revise!

I actually found English Literature quite straight forward and the step up wasn't too bad, I didn't find it any more difficult and I didn't get an A* at GCSE either. For most exam boards, AS is an open book exam so it's not too demanding as it isn't necessary to learn quotations (though it would help save time in an exam!) You need to know your texts fairly well of course, so reading them a couple of times may help! It's also good to put a critics opinion into your exam answers, so just take a quotation and use it to support an answer

History is probably a bit more of a step up, but it's definitely my favourite subject alongside Biology. The exam paper layout for me was quite different. There is also A LOT to memorise for the exam, and I mean a lot Just work efficiently and you'll be fine. It is important in History to get your essay technique correct, as this makes you hit the top marks if it's good! Once you've got the technique right, you just need to apply your knowledge As for source questions, make sure you look at who wrote it and when, as this will obviously determine the motive of the person and therefore shape your opinion. Obviously if it was written 100 years after the event, they've been exposed to many documents which may have affected their opinion. (I'm sure you've probably done this a lot at GCSE anyway!)

But anyway, you should be absolutely fine with both and they're great subjects, so put the effort in and you'll do very well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good to know you do both and enjoy them! i really enjoy reading and the texts i will be doing sound great, so hopefully I will be more than happy to re-read them , i think my syllabus will be OCR? so not sure if it will be closed book or not? but even if it is, I'm used to memorising information in other subjects, and quotes so hopefully it will be okay!
    I should have no problem with the Source questions hopefully! as they have always been my favourite questions in GCSE, and I should be able to memorise a lot of information, well I'll have no choice but to, with the subjects I'll be doing!

(Original post by bethanychoo)
    Psychology is great!! I did it at a level along with English lit and lang and the English really helped with my essay writing in psychology. For me my a level was down to written class assessments and written exam pieces so if you're good at writing and understand the knowledge you can't really go wrong.

There isn't any science involved as far as I can remember. It's a social science which is different. I guess we learnt about how the brain works but that's about it.

There is a lot of content though, lots of researchers and studies you need to remember but they are all so interesting so it's not a problem it's interesting to apply what you know to your own family and self, such as why someone you know behaves like x and so on, it's good!

I'm now doing criminology and psychology at uni and I love, love, love it also finding it quite easy!

Hope this helped a little bit!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice to know you really enjoy Psychology! makes me more exciting for it to be honest, i was nervous about the Science content, but it sounds fine, and hopefully i'll love the subject, i certainly have loved the little bits of Psychology we've done in Science!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and exam boards would be (incase anyone has direct experience)

English Literature - OCR
    History - Edexcel (Tudor)
    Psychology - AQA
    Japanese - Edexcel

ReputationRep:
    I am the same picking my a levels and I to need some help can anyone comment on the following subjects theatre studies history English lit biology and chemistry thanks

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.