Turn on thread page Beta

Backstory:

I was in hospital last week (tuesday to sat) and this really lovely doctor had to put this plastic needle in my arm so I could get medicine. So anyway she walks in and straight away I felt very nervous She did the needle in about 5 mins but during it we were talking a little and I thought we were getting on really well, although doctors have to be nice to everyone so i'm not sure She came around with the other doctors every day (except the last day I was there) and it was really nice seeing her but we have not spoken since. I meant to ask her to lunch on the last day but she doesn't work on a Saturday and I won't see her for 2 weeks now. I think the "league" thing is silly but I would fully expect her to say no if I asked her

My question is, Should I ask her? i've got nothing to lose but she is probably married or something and what should I invite her to do? I thought lunch would be okay because i'm not the best talker so it will be quite short. Also do you think I should go before the 2 weeks?

Sorry for the essay

ReputationRep:
    Bumping as this took a while to be approved

ReputationRep:
    If she is married, I think you shouldn't invite her. If she's single, I see no reasons not to invite her for lunch.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you and how old is she?

I'm not sure if she is married, I didn't see a ring but most of the doctors in the hospital were married

I'm 20, not sure how old she is but she looked mid 20's maybe early 30's

ReputationRep:
    Do you think a doctor would even consider going on a date with a patient?

ReputationRep:
    Was going to give you the whole "she was probably just being nice" speech but if I was in the same position its the last thing I would have wanted to hear.

The odds are against you my friend , but you never know , im sure there have been cases where doctors + patients have become partners , if there is chemistry and your around a similar age i'd say go for it ;

Lunch sounds good.

(Original post by Awesome-o)
    Do you think a doctor would even consider going on a date with a patient?
    She works in a team with my doctor. Just before she did the needle properly a medical student tried to do it but failed. I wouldn't even call the doctor she works for "my doctor" either he was just doing the surgery.

(Original post by Jaegon Targaryen)
    Was going to give you the whole "she was probably just being nice" speech but if I was in the same position its the last thing I would have wanted to hear.

The odds are against you my friend , but you never know , im sure there have been cases where doctors + patients have become partners , if there is chemistry and your around a similar age i'd say go for it ;

Lunch sounds good.
    She probably was but it's still worth a shot I guess I haven't been able to stop thinking about her since Tuesday

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, doctors aren't allowed to date patients. Huge amount of legal crap and stuff involved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

16th March, 2014? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewhoviannerd)
    Unfortunately, doctors aren't allowed to date patients. Huge amount of legal crap and stuff involved.
    Is that definitely the case? I can see why it might be discouraged but the OP's relationship with the doctor was a one-off because she works in A&E (or some such place) and I don't know if she owes a continuing professional duty towards him.

Any people training to be medics care to shed some definitive light?

ReputationRep:
    Looooooooooooool if she's a competent doctor, she would reject your advances....you're a patient...she's a doctor....it won't happen.

Unless she resigns lol.

ReputationRep:
    If what the above guys are saying is true, she may not be able to interact with you until you leave the Hospital. You could always say "When's your lunch break today?" and you could meet her in the Hospital cafeteria for an hour.

Honestly, you don't have anything to lose as you may never see her again. I'd wait till the end of your stay though, just to avoid the awkwardness.

Took quite a long time for the moderators to accept my posts but there are 2 above now

This was the first time I have ever seen her before, and probably the last because the hospital is about an hour from where I live. We had to go there because that is where the surgeon works.

ReputationRep:
    Doctors are not allowed to date patients.

- My brother is a doctor.

Infact, one time an old female patient showed that she fancied him and they had to get another doctor to take care of her.

This was the first time I have seen her and probably the last since it's not my local hospital (it's an hour away, we went there because that is where the surgeon works) All she did was put that needle in because the med students couldn't do it, does that still count?

ReputationRep:
    This thread is so cute. :cute:

OP sadly I don't think she would go on a date with a patient. But you could ask, you don't have anything to lose.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 22, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.