Suede boots in winter? Watch

coopertroopa03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've been after a pair of winter boots for AGES and I've found a pair that I love. The only thing is they're suede and I'm not sure if they'll be suitable for winter weather.
They look quite durable and have got thick soles but I'm worried about wearing them in the rain (not torrential or anything, just in a light shower) They're £45 from Topshop and have pretty good reviews, but it's a lot of money to spend if they'll get ruined. I walk maybe half an hour to college each day, do you think they'd be alright?
http://www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/produ...0#BVRRWidgetID
Thanks!
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not suitable if you don't have a substitute pair for bad weather IMO.

On a cold, crisp day, if there's no/little chance of rain, they're fine to wear. But suede doesn't take water very well, and if it's any more than a slight drizzle, water marks will show up on your shoes. Even with suede protection spray I wouldn't rely on suede shoes to be a winter workhorse.
ebing87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Suede boots or no suede boots? Thats the question.

Well, it depends on how you look.

If you're hot, then yes please, wear them.
sinfonietta
  • Life & Style Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They definitely aren't suitable for a British winter: not only is the material impractical but there are gaps at the sides.
coopertroopa03
Rep:
?
(Original post by rockrunride)
Not suitable if you don't have a substitute pair for bad weather IMO.

On a cold, crisp day, if there's no/little chance of rain, they're fine to wear. But suede doesn't take water very well, and if it's any more than a slight drizzle, water marks will show up on your shoes. Even with suede protection spray I wouldn't rely on suede shoes to be a winter workhorse.
That's what I thought...I love them so much but from what you're saying it sounds like they won't survive our lovely british weather thanks for your help!
coopertroopa03
Rep:
?
(Original post by ebing87)
Suede boots or no suede boots? Thats the question.

Well, it depends on how you look.

If you're hot, then yes please, wear them.
Unfortunately not, I'm very sorry. What shoes should you wear if you're not hot? :lolwut:
coopertroopa03
Rep:
?
(Original post by sinfonietta)
They definitely aren't suitable for a British winter: not only is the material impractical but there are gaps at the sides.
I did think about that but surely it's not any trouble unless I'm walking in 2 inch + puddles? They're probably not the best winter shoes though, thanks!
Lanfan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not only is it suede, but it's got cut-outs too. They could probably take light rain, but you won't be able to wear them if you'll be in rain for a while, and they'll be rubbish for poorly paved roads where there's half rotten leaves and deep puddles and stuff because of the cut-outs. Half an hour is plenty of time to get your feet soaked.
I don't think you should get them.
ebing87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by coopertroopa03)
Unfortunately not, I'm very sorry. What shoes should you wear if you're not hot? :lolwut:
You can wear any shoes you like, as long as you stay inside the house.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
22.97%
The paper was reasonable (430)
44.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.09%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise