Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a negative thread but I was wondering if anyone has a "back-up plan" in case they don't get into uni this year? Would you repeat year 13, get a job etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I would have to repeat the year.

ReputationRep:
    I havent really thought about it to be honest, i suppose i'd resit the year if i wasnt happy with my results.

ReputationRep:
    Resit Januarys exams, work for half the year, maybe travel somewhere. Come back reapply.

ReputationRep:
    Not getting into uni isn't an option, so I'm not planning for it

ReputationRep:
    Guess i'd retake some in January and then reapply.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're a AAA+ student and all of your offers are like that, and they aren't met, then I can't see anyone not getting into uni.

This is part of the problem nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platocrates)
    Unless you're a AAA+ student and all of your offers are like that, and they aren't met, then I can't see anyone not getting into uni.

not really, AAA students aren't less valued cus they go to better unis so can still get better jobs than sum that go to less good unis. Don't judge your own acheivement by comparing it to others, just cus more people go to uni doesn't mean that education is going down the drain, we all have a right to further education!

In answer to the original post... if I don't even get into my insurance choice I'm not gonna reaply with those grades cus I know they dont reflect my ability and something has gone drasticillay wrong in these summer exams and I've got Us! So yes, I will be resitting in January!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platocrates)

I think, fairly clearly, the OP meant a university you chose to go to, not one found in clearing.

Well, i have an uncondy, but if I didn't i'd probably take a gap year and retake them privately. I don't think I could styand going back to school in a different year group.

ReputationRep:
    I had a worry of not getting into uni last year. My plan was to see why I didn't get in, take a gap year and redo some exams and re apply. I did get in though .

ReputationRep:
    go through clearing? or go to a uni which is not your 1st choice? Theres always a university that will take u...

ReputationRep:
    Become a firefighter.

ReputationRep:
    This time last year - because my firm and insurance choice's had the same entry requirements (ABB) - my back up plan was to open a small second-hand bookshop in North Wales.

ReputationRep:
    Clearing, if that fails, then Some other form of training.

ReputationRep:
    I have no back-up plan. I have to get in, there is no other option unless I repeat the year which I am very keen not to do!

ReputationRep:
    crying!! and then I will go back to my 6th form and carry on Politics AS to A2 (which I have checked they would let me do) and obviously resit a few modules too, work loads and apply again but hopefully it won't happen because I would really rather not do that

ReputationRep:
    initially have a mental breakdown on the spot...then realise that i HAVE to get into uni and i will!

ReputationRep:
    had no idea at all, you can't retake exams in Germany unless you failed them so resitting would not be an option...probably would have tried to apply to uni elsewhere, stayed a year and then tried to transfer to a uni i want to go to

ReputationRep:
    Go back to college and sit my HND and then go to uni starting in year 3.

ReputationRep:
    Search frantically for a place on Clearing - retaking the year is NOT an option for me!

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.