Should I undertake a business course if I want to start my own business Watch

niall22
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm a university grad but have struggled to find permanent work since finishing uni in summer 2012. I have ideas for business start ups and I love the idea of setting up my own business. However, beyond my Business Studies A Level, I have no business experience or really any idea of how to run and operate a business.

So my question to you is, do you think I should go on a course/do a degree related to business in order to gain more skills and knowledge. So many people don't do this and yet they start their own businesses. I suppose you only really hear about the success stories, like Alan Sugar, which makes it seems is all that you need is a strong work ethic and know what you're doing. So is a course really needed? Is there an alternative?
itsamberariamay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are two ways you learn - from degrees and from real life.

My father told me that he wish he had taken a business related course in the past. It would have taught him all the necessary things.

In real life, you learn from experience. You are given the test first. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's the truth. You learn the lesson later, and you'll try to prevent it in the future.

So, my advice, take a course.

Hope it helped. ^^
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by niall22)
I'm a university grad but have struggled to find permanent work since finishing uni in summer 2012. I have ideas for business start ups and I love the idea of setting up my own business. However, beyond my Business Studies A Level, I have no business experience or really any idea of how to run and operate a business.

So my question to you is, do you think I should go on a course/do a degree related to business in order to gain more skills and knowledge. So many people don't do this and yet they start their own businesses. I suppose you only really hear about the success stories, like Alan Sugar, which makes it seems is all that you need is a strong work ethic and know what you're doing. So is a course really needed? Is there an alternative?
How did you do academically? i.e A levels, University, institution grades etc
Jelephant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I doubt a university business course is what you want. I can't speak for what they teach at other universities, but my course provided little information on how to actually go about starting and running a business. Instead we studied modules on financial markets, employment law, economics, environmental sustainability, ethics, etc.
niall22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
How did you do academically? i.e A levels, University
A Levels - B, C, C. Uni - 2.1

Instead we studied modules on financial markets, employment law, economics, environmental sustainability, ethics, etc.
This is what worried me. Out of interest, what kind of work did you do on to do. Did your business degree help you?
Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For every Alan Sugar there are hundreds of successful people who aren't in the public eye all the time.

In business courses you aren't taught how to write a cheque, find suppliers, set up a limited company, do your bookkeeping, get a product manufactured, register a patent, employ a person, run a payroll, etc. You're only taught things like 'how to write a business plan' (to which tutors don't know much about having never written one themselves), laws around employing people (somewhat useful but easily forgotten), create a marketing campaign (you only make it, so you don't know if it will be successful or not) etc.

I am trying to remember the modules I covered in my business course but can't remember. It has helped me on business knowledge but you'll learn much more just going and doing it (which is harder than it sounds).
MrBigKnob
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd say get out in the field and learn first hand. Books and lectures only get you so far.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (104)
19.01%
The paper was reasonable (275)
50.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
19.93%
It was TERRIBLE (59)
10.79%

Watched Threads