Help needed. Mature student wanting to do Medicine. Watch

Mystifier2014
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

Thanks for looking at this but I really do require some insight and thought.

I'm a graduate of a top Russell brick university who graduated in economics(however a 2.2 with extenuating circumstances, I have all the proof for this).

Currently I'm working for one of the big. 4 companies and have passed all my Aca exams first time with very high marks. In addition to this, I've worked on nhs assignments which has given me an insight to how the profession works.

My A-level grades are AAAa Maths, Business Studies, Chemistry, biology as-level taken in 2007. I would like to take biology a level this year to improve my chances - I most likely will get an A grade.

In addition to this, I will gain experience in a hospital and a GP's surgery where I will volunteer in the weekend.

Could you guys let me know what my chances would be to get into medicine considering my background? I know it's a big career change considering I'm already earning good money and work for a highly respectable firm.

In addition to this, do you believe that by taking my a levels several years ago would hamper my chances as well as my 2.2 degree (I was only 2 marks off a 2.1 and have extenuating circumstances support). By taking the latter part of the as2 biology degree, would this account for a re-sit as it has not been completed within 2 years?

I would be grateful for any input that you may have.

Thanks.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mystifier2014)
Hi,

I'm a graduate of a top Russell brick university who graduated in economics(however a 2.2 with extenuating circumstances, I have all the proof for this).

Currently I'm working for one of the big. 4 companies and have passed all my Aca exams first time with very high marks. In addition to this, I've worked on nhs assignments which has given me an insight to how the profession works.

My A-level grades are AAAa Maths, Business Studies, Chemistry, biology as-level taken in 2007. I would like to take biology a level this year to improve my chances - I most likely will get an A grade.

In addition to this, I will gain experience in a hospital and a GP's surgery where I will volunteer in the weekend.

Could you guys let me know what my chances would be to get into medicine considering my background? I know it's a big career change considering I'm already earning good money and work for a highly respectable firm.

In addition to this, do you believe that by taking my a levels several years ago would hamper my chances as well as my 2.2 degree (I was only 2 marks off a 2.1 and have extenuating circumstances support). By taking the latter part of the as2 biology degree, would this account for a re-sit as it has not been completed within 2 years?

Thanks.
Would you be applying for graduate entry medicine or the standard 5 year course?

For GEM, most universities want a 2.1. You would need to contact each one individually (the ones that accept non-science degrees, that is!) before applying to see whether they would accept your extenuating circumstances. There are a couple which are happy with a 2.2 but they all want you to sit the GAMSAT, which is no light undertaking!

For undergraduate entry you may not actually have to do A2 biology (though I would strongly suspect that you'd have to take the whole AS/A2 as the original AS would be so long ago) - your AS may be sufficient. As your circumstances are not "standard" I think you will have to do a bit of legwork and research as to which universities would be good options for you. You also need work experience, which I see you're working on - keep going and good luck!
Pittawithcheese
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mystifier2014)
Hi,

Thanks.
Hello to another mature student applicant!

I would second what the OP has said and suggest contacting versions universities to see what their attitude is in-relation to the 2:2. I think the big question is going to be that of there were extenuating circumstances at the time, why was your grade not adjusted by the University? Just to prepare you for a question that may be asked.

A lot of the Universities that accept non-science degrees will require either ALevel Cheme OR AS Chem and AS Bio, so your ALevels should be fine.
Some of them require that you have evidence of significant study within the last 3 years, you recent exams should cover that. There shouldn't be a problem with the time lapse between taking ALevels and now - I took mine in 2000 and they have been acceptable to the Universities I have applied to.

Your work exp plans sound good, you'll need to sit UKCAT or GAMSAT also, and sort out a reference and a PS. Like you I am established in an alternative career and am seeking a change to medicine, it happens quite a lot so you won't be alone.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (390)
45.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (110)
12.97%

Watched Threads