One flatmate ignores me, don't know what to do :( Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
To start off the story I had to request a flat transfer because I was the complete polar opposite of the girls in my old flat. I moved into my new flat a month into uni and although I'm still getting to know my new flatmates and I wish we could be closer, I get on with all of them except for one. I personally don't mind her, but ever since I moved in she has never made an effort to strike up conversation with me, she barely makes eye contact with me and even though we go to all the same classes, she never acknowledges me in them either.

What really upsets me is she gets on good with everyone else and when we're all in the kitchen it's like I don't exist, especially if she is talking because she has spoken over me a few times as I have tried to join the conversation. She has even moved seats when I've sat down next to her to eat my dinner. I feel like she deliberately goes out her way to avoid me when I just mind my own business. As far as I'm aware, I haven't done anything to offend her either.

Should I politely confront her and ask her why she doesn't make an effort with me or should I just let it slide and just continue minding my own business? I don't want to spend the next 6 months of uni living like a ghost in my own flat, but at the same time I don't want any fall outs
Get_Lucky_606
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
To start off the story I had to request a flat transfer because I was the complete polar opposite of the girls in my old flat. I moved into my new flat a month into uni and although I'm still getting to know my new flatmates and I wish we could be closer, I get on with all of them except for one. I personally don't mind her, but ever since I moved in she has never made an effort to strike up conversation with me, she barely makes eye contact with me and even though we go to all the same classes, she never acknowledges me in them either.

What really upsets me is she gets on good with everyone else and when we're all in the kitchen it's like I don't exist, especially if she is talking because she has spoken over me a few times as I have tried to join the conversation. She has even moved seats when I've sat down next to her to eat my dinner. I feel like she deliberately goes out her way to avoid me when I just mind my own business. As far as I'm aware, I haven't done anything to offend her either.

Should I politely confront her and ask her why she doesn't make an effort with me or should I just let it slide and just continue minding my own business? I don't want to spend the next 6 months of uni living like a ghost in my own flat, but at the same time I don't want any fall outs
Yeah I would confront her politely - be the better person about it. That way you will find out if she has a problem, or if she's just a *****.
sausageez
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah i would confront her. I just had this situation with my flatmate too, she'd been ignoring me for 2 weeks, so today i asked why and apparently i'd been doing things that piss her off for months and she didn't tell me and 2 weeks ago was the last straw but she's kind of a ***** and she started yelling at me and told me to move out if i want. Boohoo! i'm not moving out till i find somewhere else to live :P

So be ready for anything if u do confront her, some people can be immature sometimes
Jjj90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe she's shy.
littlesmurfette
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would probably ask what her problem is. Politely obviously and point out the things you have pointed out here. Prepare yourself for it to not go very well though- she sounds quite immature if i'm honest.

With that said- you can't force people to like you. I can't stand one of the girls I live because we are just completely different people. Doesn't stop me/her going on the nights out, drinks etc. I honestly wouldn't make a big deal out of it if speaking to her comes to nothing. The other girls are obviously interested in being friends with you- so concentrate on that and don't let her put you off. It is her problem- not yours.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (419)
30.41%
The paper was reasonable (546)
39.62%
Not feeling great about that exam... (235)
17.05%
It was TERRIBLE (178)
12.92%

Watched Threads