TV Box for streaming and storage Watch

Colbert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Don't know what these boxes are called but basically I am looking for something that will connect to a TV and stream iPlayer and be able to store movies and play various file types. And possibly 4od if realistic.

So basically a machine that makes an old TV into a Smart TV?
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Colbert)
Don't know what these boxes are called but basically I am looking for something that will connect to a TV and stream iPlayer and be able to store movies and play various file types. And possibly 4od if realistic.

So basically a machine that makes an old TV into a Smart TV?
Depending on how much you want to spend, I would actually suggest waiting a few weeks for the Xbox One and PS4 to launch and watch the prices of Xbox 360s and PS3s plummet. They both have streaming apps for most major networks, obviously play DVDs (And Blu Rays in the PS3's case), and have plenty of storage options depending on the hard drive choice you make. There's the dirt cheap NowTV box which offers iPlayer and Channel 5's streaming services for free, but everything else is paid and the video quality is apparently meh, or there's Roku's boxes which have a wider range of services but are more expensive, but neither have any internal storage and the Rokus with USB/SD slots cost as much as a second hand console would anyway. I'm pretty sure 4OD is exclusive to the 360 and PS3 hardware wise too. Gaming is just the icing on the cake.
Colbert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Depending on how much you want to spend, I would actually suggest waiting a few weeks for the Xbox One and PS4 to launch and watch the prices of Xbox 360s and PS3s plummet. They both have streaming apps for most major networks, obviously play DVDs (And Blu Rays in the PS3's case), and have plenty of storage options depending on the hard drive choice you make. There's the dirt cheap NowTV box which offers iPlayer and Channel 5's streaming services for free, but everything else is paid and the video quality is apparently meh, or there's Roku's boxes which have a wider range of services but are more expensive, but neither have any internal storage and the Rokus with USB/SD slots cost as much as a second hand console would anyway. I'm pretty sure 4OD is exclusive to the 360 and PS3 hardware wise too. Gaming is just the icing on the cake.
Trying to avoid any great expense as this is really just to avoid plugging my laptop into an HDMI so I am not paying £100 for the privilidge

Cheapo 360 may be the way to go, although I believe only iPlayer is available without Gold and you can't store stuff even with a hard drive. But USB will obviously stream. Don't know much about PS3 capabilities, will give that a once over.

Cheers for the insight, can't LIKE it as I have enjoyed a recent post of yours already but appreciate the post all the same. So sad.
AdampskiB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not sure if the Raspberry Pi comes with the competency to stream...?
Narcissist
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Western Digital do a media player box. I bought one about 3 years ago which connects to the tv by Hdmi and to any hard drive by USB. A quick google search tells me the latest version includes access to YouTube, spotify, Netflix, iplayer. I can't find reference to 4od.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-TV-Play-M...s=Media+player

£35 on Amazon
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (5)
26.32%
The paper was reasonable (8)
42.11%
Not feeling great about that exam... (3)
15.79%
It was TERRIBLE (3)
15.79%

Watched Threads