Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Don't know what these boxes are called but basically I am looking for something that will connect to a TV and stream iPlayer and be able to store movies and play various file types. And possibly 4od if realistic.

So basically a machine that makes an old TV into a Smart TV?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Don't know what these boxes are called but basically I am looking for something that will connect to a TV and stream iPlayer and be able to store movies and play various file types. And possibly 4od if realistic.

You mean those digital boxes which offer streaming service as well?

Or you could make a small pc set up and run that as well.

ReputationRep:

This Android device was the first kind of thing that sprang to mind.
    Sky's Now TV box will do most of what you want for a tenner.
    Maybe a Raspberry Pi would suffice, but IDK.
    Potentially a Chromecast device may help - though I don't know if that's any good for local media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    You mean those digital boxes which offer streaming service as well?

Or you could make a small pc set up and run that as well.
    Yeah so just a box that lets me play iPlayer on the TV and stream video files from a USB. The machine itself doesn't need to have any storage as long as it will play the relevant files.

Didn't think it would be as expensive as the search results suggest so wondered if anyone here might be wise to something decent.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah so just a box that lets me play iPlayer on the TV and stream video files from a USB. The machine itself doesn't need to have any storage as long as it will play the relevant files.

Didn't think it would be as expensive as the search results suggest so wondered if anyone here might be wise to something decent.
    They're around the £100 bracket................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    This Android device was the first kind of thing that sprang to mind.
    Sky's Now TV box will do most of what you want for a tenner.
    Maybe a Raspberry Pi would suffice, but IDK.
    Potentially a Chromecast device may help - though I don't know if that's any good for local media.
    Missed this before, cheers man. That linked one might do a job. Will look into these.

NowTV looked good but doesn't stream USB which is a shame. But for a tenner :beard:

Can't rate your post as have already done recently but I am grateful

(Original post by Iqbal007)
    They're around the £100 bracket................
    I'd pay around £50 for something like this but getting over £100 just to save me the bother of plugging my laptop into the HDMI cable seems a little much.

Could just buy an entry level 360 for that :holmes:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.